Ceiling texture refinishing

hi,
i have a textured ceiling with a pattern that resembles a daisy, with about 8 petals. i had a problem with a leaking shower that was corrected which leaves me with some repair to the downstairs ceiling. I beleive i have the tools, the mud, putty knife, and circular brush bought at home depot which the clerk told me will duplicate the pattern i have.
so this is a technique question, how much water do i mix into the pre-mixed mud to create a consistency that will be easy to tool on this job? and two, what technique do i use to do this job right?
thanks in advance. Fish

This a generalized answer.
Mix mud, flat paint and water to the consistency of pancake batter (think triple thick milk shake). Something like a quart of paint to 5 gallons of mud. You can skip the paint if you don't have any. It just helps make the whole batter a little more sticky.
Apply a thin layer with a long nap roller and use the wet brush to take your best shot at duplicating the pattern. You may want to test your moves on a scrap of drywall before the actual project. Matching another persons work is always tough even when you have the exact same tools.
Anything that is close will look fine once the entire ceiling is painted.
Colbyt
thanks man. thats what i needed.
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 21:29:56 GMT, "Colbyt"