ceiling texture - mud swirl patterns

Many years ago I lived in a house that had mud swirl patterns used as the finish texture on the ceilings of the various rooms. Each of the 3 bedrooms had a different pattern and I think the living area had yet another pattern.
In our current house I am preparing to retexture the ceilings and I would like very much to implement the mud swirl patterns similar to the previous house.
Can anyone give me a reference where I can find different styles/patterns I can use? I have found one reference on the web that offers to teach (for a fee) the mud swirl technique but the person has never responded to my email.
Suggestions would be most welcome!
John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com
John Keith wrote:

I think what you are referring to is done with a thin coat of mud and a notched trowel. Jack

STiff bristle-broom, for the rainbow-pattern.

I know what a rainbow looks like (duh) but can you point me to a picture of how this mught be repeated in a pattern?
John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Maybe I should have called it a scale-pattern. All the ceilings in my father's house were done by a guy on stilts walking around stabbing a brush into the mud and giving it a bit more than a half-turn around one corner, moving sideways almost 2 brush-widths, and repeating. When you finish a row, you move down almost one brush-width, center the pivot corner between two arcs of the previous row, and continue in the opposite direction. I don't remember what they did to make the edges work out right, but the field ends up looking kind of like this:
www.goedjn.com/sketch/scaly.gif
--Goedjn

My apologies for partly hijacking the thread but I have a related question. If I already have ceilings that have that texture, what is the simplest way to clean/repaint them? I assume that any attempt to use a brush or anything like that vigorously would (may?) knock off the texture ... so any alternatives? Especially if I want to avoid spraying?
Thanks,
--NS.

I've painted over all kinds to texture and patterns. I always use real ceiling paint and not the cheap contractor "maintenance" paint. Always use a roller. Heavier nap for heavier textures. The acoustical (I think it's called) that is loose is the worst with pcs falling off everywhere. I've read that painting will reduce or destroy the effectiveness of the acoustical material.
If the ceiling will tolerate a washing, all the better. If not, dust/vacuum it off best you can.
I had to redo a textured/popcorn section because half of it neede new drywall. The existing texture part I just scraped with a heavy duty scraper to get all the raised area off. Skim coated with mud, primed, rolled texture on new and old then painted with ceiling paint.PITA but it came out nice. Fortunately entire area was only 5x14 in an entry. Unfortunately vaulted. Wouldn't want to do a full ceiling!

I'd call that a scallop pattern.
Cool diagram. I've saved it as style #1 to use (yes, it is similar to obne I remember in the old house.) Now I just need another 3-4 examples of different styles to use.
Thanks!
John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com
Looks like one of them pictures you're suppose to stare at and see something totally different. I have yet to see anything in any of them!
tyles to use.

Try this one.... http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~moraes/illusion.html
On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 20:06:37 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, John

The Pro-Style Shell master tool someone pointed at yesterday: http://www.fantastictools.com/pages/texmaster.htm
- They who know the truth are not equal to those who love it. -Confucius --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Programming Services
John Keith wrote:

http://drywallschool.com /
Get some cheap plywood or broken sheets of drywall to practice on.

That's the web reference I have seen and my email to Mike has never been answered.
I understand about using a thin coat of mud and the need to practice on plywood.
What I'm looking for is pictures of different patterns (since I'm not very artisitic) beyond the "scallops" that are on the above web page.
Our previous master bedroom had what I would call a "sunburst" pattern that was centered on the overhead light. I'd like to find examples of something like that and other styles.
Thanks for the notes so far.
John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

I guess you've seen this.
http://www.drywallschool.com/textures.htm

I noted in one of my earlier responses in this thread that I have seen that page. I've tried to contact the owner of that page (his address is posted on the page and he sells info which I would glad pay for) but he has never responded to my messages :-(
John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

I saw that after. Be nice if I always read threads in order.
Guess it was a temporary pipe dream of his.

These tools show a texture pattern example beside each one. Just for ideas.
http://www.fantastictools.com/pages/texmaster.htm
Many years ago I watched my brother do couple ceilings with heavy texture. In the center of one room he did a wagon wheel, the center hub centered at the light fixture...spokes coming out to the edge of the wheel. He used a string from the outlet center to get his circle.
I guess one is limited by imagination and ideas.
Oren

Some interesting patterns htat I will also consider.

That sounds interesting!

I'm pretty good at ideas except for when it comes to colors, styles, patterns, etc. :-(
Thanks for the comments.
John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

He had talent and skill. The difference between your brother and many of us is he knows what he is doing and has to do before he even starts.
John Keith wrote:

Some of these may spark your creativity:
http://www.artoftexturing.com/Patterns.htm http://www.artexing.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/artex%20patterns.htm http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_10/218000/218065/1/preview/TEXTURE_REVIVAL_FREE_DOWNLOAD.pdf