Ceiling fan oil leak

When I removed a 25 - 45 years old ceiling fan to painting the ceiling, oil poured out of it when I tipped it at an angle. Is something busted or is this some archaic lubrication system? It runs smooth as silk -- at leaset it did...
Thansk, crabshell
Is it a Hunter? the old one use an oil sump - when you tilted it the oil ran out.

Got to be one of those weighty cast iron Hunters. If you lost less than a gallon, I wouldn't worry about it

crabshell wrote:

Nothing is broken nor is an oil sump "archaic"...its what enabled your fan to run smooth as silk for the last 25-45 years.
Replace the lost oil via a cap on the top of the motor cover. Probably wouldn't hurt to totally replace the oil. Enter "original" on the page below for "Model", then see page 4 of the resultant PDF for more info... http://www.hunterfanhq.com/hiw-prod/orderinv/frames/ps_frame.htm
--

dadiOH

It is a Hunter. Thanks for the info. Anything that leaks oil with the slightest of jostling seems archaic, but yes; it takes a licking and keeps on ticking...
The "Hunter Original" is one of the best ceiling fans ever made. Because of that oil supply the fan turns with almost no friction.

Craven Morehead wrote:

Agreed - Great fan - I just picked up 4 of them at homecheapo, on clearance, for $100 each. installed them (not at my home). I wish I bought one for me. they are gone now.
Don't fret, there is absolutely no similarity between the "Hunter" of today and forty years ago