Ceiling fan controllers

The little church that I goto has high ceilings and has a couple of very old ceiling fans. The ceiling fans are on speed-control switches that look like light dimmers. The fans run too fast unless the speed controls are all the way down, and in winter even that's too fast.
All the speed controllers that I looked at at Home Depot today had 3 or 4 speed settings; the ones in the church have infinite settings like a light dimmer... Is it possible whoever install this use light dimmers instead of fan controllers?
If these actually are fan motor controllers, is there an adjustment somewhere to set the minimum fan speed? I'd like to be able to set them to just barely turn in the winter just enough to keep the air stirred up without creating a draft.
-Bob

Can you take the cover plates off of the present controllers and get some identification, make, model, guess at their age, etc???

I should be able to do that tomorrow.
-Bob

What you have are infinite fan speed controllers. Years ago they were fairly popular but tended to have humming issues, especially at lower speeds. The 3 speed controllers seem to have solved the humming problems. Some of those controllers do have a low speed adjusting screw, which I believe is accessible if you remove the cover plate
zxcvbob wrote:

If you do that they might burn out. A motor stopping at the stall current will heat up, and maybe die.