ceiling fan blade weights - they fasten where?

have a _very_ old emerson 32" six bladed ceiling fan. very similar to 'hunter original' in motor construction, but I'd guess mine is a 1920 vintage, + or - a hair. I'm doing a restoration on it of sorts, & planning on using it starting tomorrow.

few days ago I weighed all the blades (with their cast iron 'motor blade fastener arms' attached) on my triple beam, and then made weights from an old unknown alloy solder so that the blades (with their attached 'arms', as a unit) will be within 1/4 gram of ea other* (once the weights are attached), BUT, where exactly to fasten the weights? seems the logical places -might- be:

a. as close as possible to motor arbor, on upper surface of blade, centered leading to trailing edges,

or maybe

b. centered halfway between between upper outer edge-center of each cast iron 'blade arm' and extreme outer tip of each blade, and centered halfway leading edge to trailing edge?

or, would some kind soul please tell me the 'standard procedure'?

thanks in advance :-)

*this procedure, making the weights and 'fine tuning' them took 'some considerable hours', not counting the other hours in remaking blades themselves, with three coats hand rubbed, fabricating the ceiling hanger hook, etc etc ;-)
Reply to
dave

Don Young

dave wrote:

It's harder than you think. You have to add weight in just the right place to have the right center of gravity.

Reply to
AC/DCdude17

Hunter make kits to balance blades. Also you can use a clothes pin (spring type) to experiment for correct weight placement and then tape pennies or dimes on the blades for weights. Either way it's trial and error.

Reply to
t gilb

Hang the fan then put on the blades. Turn it on low first and see what is what. Then medium. If you have wobbles, start out with a medium weight in the center (both ways of the blade) I use a penny and scotch tape. Small weight farther out large weight closer in. Finally go for broke, high. I have used "BB's" pressed into the wood for a simple weight on the end

Reply to
SQLit

Use really good tape, otherwise some day when you have it on "high" it will sling pennies at your head.

I haven't tried this, but I think it might work to put a wood screw in the back center of each blade, sticking up about 1/2", and stack various sized little washers on them until you get it balanced.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

i bought a fan from home depot and had trouble with the thing bouncing all around...called up the tech support people and they told me to measure the fan from the outer part of the blade to the ceiling and then use the weights on them to balance them all to the same height(not the same weight), but the same height... so this might be your problem... i tried and thought it was much easier to bring it back to home depot as i never had to mess with a brand new fan before.... bought a replacement and found it had a different model number.. home depot had a bad batch of fans that they sent back to the manufacturer.......

Reply to
dbird