CEILING FAN

It's not a single pole double throw switch. It's a switch that supports multiple forward speeds and a reverse speed.

This isn't as simple as a rheostat (variable resistor), since making A/C motors run at multiple speeds requires that you change the period of the electrical signal and not its amplitude.

And I have no idea how you make an A/C motor run backwards...

Randy

Reply to
Randy

My ceiling fan has started to "growl" on speed only.

Is this typically; the capacitor or a matter of lubricant ?

Reply to
Anonymous

"The capacitor"? Huh?

Likely the bearings are going.

Reply to
Dan C

Greetings fellow linux user!! You don't find many of us, but the number is growing.

Rich

Reply to
Evodawg

Knoppix doesn't count :-(

Reply to
G Henslee

Or line voltage has been altered.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Lubricant.

Reply to
Pop

Reply to
Bennett Price

Indeed it is. Greets.

Reply to
Dan C

Perhaps you are just getting your ceiling fan confused with your dog ?

Reply to
Marcus