Ceiling Collapsing

Gyprock ceiling is falling down, due to ground movements; clay soil. I am informed that the ceiling is attached to beams by studs(?). Inspecting the roof cavity is difficult as it's a flat fibro roof. Since the split in the ceiling is so large, can see, two beams/joists/battons coming across; not sure whether these are the same timbers that the gyprock is attached to, as the distance is greater than it should be(?). Question: how much room is there between timbers coming across supporting the roof; and those supporting the gyprock ceiling? Trying to identify timbers that the gyprock should be attached to. Using a stud(?) detector, not sure what range this has, and what it is detecting. My only solution thus far is to use 100mm scews (longest that can be purchased) and use these to attach to the two timbers referred to. The two timbers are approx 2inch by 1 inch, they are approx

3 inches apart and positioned thin edge up.

Any recommendations re. this repair; thanks.

Reply to
cockatoo

I suggest getting a local professional to check out what problems you are having. That would involve both the ceiling and the foundation. It would appear you have a serious problem and what you are doing it trying to fix it with bubble gum. I would start by checking my home owner's insurance. Hopefully it will be covered.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I agree you may have more of a problem than just a cracked cieling. Well ignoring the obvoius stabalize the foundation and frame first comment I noticed you describe it as 1x2 lumber supporting the cieling. I have never seen that. In the US common construction practice is 2x6 joists spaced at

16" to 24" depending on roof load. (noticed you use inches and mm in the same paragraph)

Since you will need to do extensive plaster repair anyway, just use a nail or small drill to poke holes in a row to locate the wood definately.

Reply to
pipedown

snipped-for-privacy@aussieisp.net.au wrote in news:39dd9897-1831-47c6-b124- snipped-for-privacy@t12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Gee, suddenly things don't look as bad in this HUD Wreck of mine.

Reply to
Red Green