Caulking windows

Silicone caulk is fine, but get the GE Silicone II, or whichever brand/model is labelled as paintable. Cut the nozzle only a short way back, to dispense a fine bead, perhaps 1/8 inch or less, so it is not noticeable, and makes it easier to razor blade the excess off, where it smears or drips. I hope you intend to caulk at the pane edges and casing/trim; not between the moving part and the sill. Unopenable windows are draftproof, but dangerous, should you have a fire.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

I'd like to caulk my windows to eliminate drafts this winter (they're old, and I have no $ to replace them). I'd like to do this on the interior so I don't have to remove all of my storm windows and spend days on the end of my extension ladder. Will plain silicone caulk be useful or is there a special/better product to do this? Thanks in advance.

RLL

Reply to
Richard and Tracy Lambour

"Siliconized latex" costs several times less and also dries clear.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

If you're thinking of a temporary airtight caulk that you can remove in the spring - look into "seal and peel" by dap.

Reply to
Ty

If you are able and fit, a trip up the ladder may be part of the cure. Caulking around window frames can be quite effective in lowering heating bills; check doors and other openings in outer walls (pipe entries, etc.) Depending on the type of window, you may need weatherstripping or reglazing. Need more info about your setup.

Reply to
Norminn