Catch-22 with Drop spreader and Scott's weed & feed

First, I use a drop spreader rather than a rotary spreader since I don't want the herbicide to hit the plantings bordering the yard.
So here is my paradox. The Scott's weed & feed says to wet the lawn before using (presumably so the herbicide granules can stick to the weeds better). However, when I wet the lawn, some wet grass inevitably ends up running against the drop-feeder slit which causes the fertilizer to cake-up and clog the slots.
In summary: 1. If I don't wet the lawn first, then it spreads but it doesn't stick to the weeds, so the herbicide doesn't work 2. If I wet first, then the drop spreader slits clog and I get neither fertilizer nor herbicide action (or I end up opening the slits wider by some random amount and get a random, uneven coverage)
So, what am I doing wrong and what should I be doing?
blueman wrote:

(...)
Can you replace the spreader wheels with larger diameter ones?
For instance:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID 09070823513210&item=1-3089&catname --Winston

I'll tell you what, and this is the truth. NEVER - use a weed and feed product. The weed part, as you mentioned, is a herbicide. It can, and does far more damage to vegetation, including trees and bushes, that all the feed in the world does good.
I can think of no worse product on the market, and people fall for this hook line, and sinker.
I'm not trying to diminish your problem, but please check with a master gardner in your area before using this terrible product.
Bob-tx

Best advice! Every year the city tells us not to use weed and feed and every year Homedepot has it for sale in the isles as you walk in the store. People are so lazy. The best way to have a healthy lawn without weeds is to pull them. The grass grows stronger and blocks the weeds from coming back. It's not rocket science but idiots continue to buy weed and feed thinking they can get out of a little work. Meanwhile trees die and the water supply gets contaminated.

I never wet the lawn first but, if you do spreading in the morning, grass here is usually wet with dew. I use weed and feed sparingly, maybe every other year or less if weeds become evasive. Otherwise it's pull them or spot spraying.

cut grass very short.
although i think weed and feed products should be outlawed.
lots of stuff lives outdoors like birds rabbits groundhogs squirells bees etc etc.
my sister in law had her lawn treated, her dog developed a seizure disorder and has to be on pills for the remainder of its life. vet said this very common.
dandelions are retty and add a nice color to the lawn:)

pretty yellow flowers

i assume you live in an apartment somewhere. At least I hope so since I don't want you for my neighbor. ;)

nope own a home, some neighbors spray killer some dont.

If you don't have too many weeds, pull them with a Weed Hound. There's no danger of hitting good plants and the weeds are instantly and verifiably gone. It also aerates the soil a tad. It's best to do it when the soil is moist.
Don't tolerate weeds. Most people find them ugly and they rob moisture and nutrients from your lawn. And left alone, they can get out of control.

Easy...stop using herbicide.

That is the trouble with drop spreaders. There are broadcast spreaders with some having a side guard to prevent spreading the product on one side.
Weed-and-feed products are popular but very harsh on the lawn overall and rarely recommended. Get yourself a good garden sprayer with a brass wand and spot treat (on a windless sunny day) with Bayer, Weed-B-Gone or Spectricide. If you clean out your sprayer each time it will last a very long time. Eventually, if you are overseeding you'll see fewer weeds each year--weed treatments would disappear, but should become less time-consuming. Now, I just use a 32 oz trigger spray bottle for the few weeds I get on an entire 1/2 acre of lawn.

I had some a big unused jug of Weed-B-Gone along with an unused pump sprayer in my garage for the longest of time. I finally used it and I was *amazed* with the results. It truly started making the clover wilt within just hours. Within a few days, there were just about not weeds left. I spot sprayed the remaining weeds and my lawn is now weed free. Works much better than the weed-and-feed.
Rather than having to mix up a full batch time and set up and then clean my pump sprayer, I'm thinking of just making up a gallon batch and putting it in an old Round-up sprayer bottle. (Of course, I will re-label it properly). That way I will always have it available and if the sprayer gunks up after a while, I'll just move it to another old bottle. This should work well for occassional spot treatments though if I find a need for a more extensive treatment at the beginning of the year, I can always just mix up a batch in my real pump sprayer.
Does that sound like a reasonable idea?

First, as you've learned, doing spot treatment with a sprayer on your lawn is way better than the weed-n-feed. You minimize the herbicide used and deliver it far better right where it's actually needed. So, you are on the right track.
For convenience, I just keep 3 sprayers. One backpack with Roundup for big areas, like my stone driveway, one 2 gallon with Roundup for small areas, one 2 gallon with Weed B Gone for the lawn. As long as you just rinse them out at the end of the season they last fine. The only time I've had problems was when I failed to do that and left them sitting unused all winter. Freezing is obviously bad too
On Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 11:34:31 PM UTC-5, blueman wrote:

Your problem is exactly my problem-iam a Master Gardener!! Can't believe the hateful comments! i am going to try to use cardboard and cable ties to make a shroud for the broad cast spreader.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you're a Master Gardner, you would know that weed and feed is a joke
On 05/24/2015 11:46 AM, ChairMan wrote:

Why? It does a great job of feeding the weeds.
In belched:

True dat, but a terrible job killing 'em