Car wash

-snip-

The obstruction is minimal to the human eye-- but I'll bet it blinds traffic cameras and the car-cams that a lot of police departments have that scan & run every plate in view.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

The pressure washer I bought, years ago. Said not to run hot water, cause the water flow cools the pump. I'd be more worried about the pump than the window.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So a hot water source would burn up the pump?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Mine says cold water only but I thought that meant that it was not capable of producing hot water like some do. So what about the pumps that produce their own hot water with gas or oil hookups? Their pumps get hot? How about steam ones? So why would 120 degree water from a tap cause my little Huskey 1550 washer to fail?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I seem to recall reading a story about a guy driving through red lights equipped with cameras while he wore a gorilla mask. Police couldn't prove he was the driver.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

they still haven't tried him in court. they staked out his house and have video of him putting the mask on at his house.

regards, charlie phx, az

Reply to
charlie

Surely the cops just go after the owner of the vehicle and then it's up to them to either take the fine or tell the cops who was driving...

Reply to
Jules

no. they try to, but it doesn't work in court so they stopped. the photo ticket can be successfully contested if the picture doesn't show the owner. the contesting person just shows up in court with the picture and says "it wasn't me". there is no law that states the owner has to identify the driver either. it is up to the charging officer to cite the correct person who was actually driving. a big problem is that people are simply tossing the mailed tickets because mail doesn't meet the law's requirement for proper serving. cities are now going to process servers instead of mail for tickets to counteract scofflaws.

btw: out of state plates cause the tickets to be discarded rather than be served, thus visitors can speed without penalties.

regards, charlie phx, az

Reply to
charlie

I wonder how much money they are willing to spend going after the guy? If all drivers would start driving around with something to cover their face, like a full face crash helmet or a silvered flip down glare shield, the cops would howl loudly that is was dangerous which is a lie so the legislature will outlaw anything covering a driver's face. It's all about money. Heck, I read something about communities that are penalizing people who contest traffic tickets. You plead not guilty and they tack on $500.00 or something like that.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

-snip-

That's all state by state [and likely city by city sometimes]

Want to make your head spin? Read this pdf;

url
Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

a lot. he racked up 37 tickets, some for speeds over 110mph.

yes, they do that in phx. they add court and serving costs, and an additional penalty. if you win, the extra charges all go away, but one doesn't win very often.

it's for the children.

regards, charlie phx, az

Reply to
charlie

I don't understand why people think this is such ripoff. In other cases, you are offered a plea bargain (usually lesser charge for less sentence, etc). If you turn it down and go to court, you run the risk of going away more time should you be convicted. All the additional penalties are is the difference between what is being offered and what the statutory maximum is. Pays your money and takes your chances. At least the way it works in Indy.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Man, if I won a mega lottery, (the Southern Baptists won't let it in Alabama) I would start a foundation to challenge all traffic tickets in court to make them prove the charges. Too many people are ticketed because someone doesn't like the way they look (not all cops are bad, it only takes a few to give the good a bad name) or through mistaken identity. Driving while Black or what happened to me decades ago, driving while Hippie often earns someone an undeserved citation especially if they run that mouth out of indignation. I actually watched a cop go after and pull over a very attractive woman some years ago. My LEO friends tell me some hysterical stories about some of their encounters with the unwashed masses.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The "proffessional" pumps used in carwashes can handle 185F without problems, but they are close to a thousand bucks each. The $99 China specials have enough trouble handling cold water - and the "steam jenny" type cleaners (Generally) pump cold water through the flash coil under pressure.

I've used cheap (relatively) pressure washers with roughly 150F water without problems in the past.

Reply to
clare

re: Dirty license plates

I got pulled over for speeding a few years back. I have vanity plates with *clear* plexiglass over them for protection.

I showed the officer the utmost respect, but my heart sank as he came back to my van with a ticket in his hand.

"I'm not going to give you a speeding ticket, but that plexiglass over your plates is illegal. This citation is for an 'obstructed license plate'. Take it easy for the rest of your trip."

I did not feel that pointing out the minimal obstructive properties of

*clear* plexiglass would have been prudent at that time.

Most places have that law -- many places don't even allow trim around the plate, like from the dealer.

But, he did you a solid -- saved you points, insurance bullshit, etc.

Reply to
Existential Angst

It violates the principle that one should not be penalized for attempting to prove one's innocence. However, as you point out, there are lots of built-in things (plea bargains, court costs, etc) that do this.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

Guy told me his neighbor did this. Him and his wife would come out in rain coats with a bucket of soapy water. Saved having to rinse off the soap.

Reply to
Frank

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

I get the sense of the post. My problem is the picture flashes on screen then off. Doesn't really let me view it. Anyone with any ideas, I hope my system isn't bleeped up.

Reply to
Tekkie®