Cannot remove bathtub drain stopper

I have a push-down/pull-up type of stopper. It's solid metal with a rubber gasket on the bottom to make the seal when pressed down. It doesn't click, it doesn't twist, and it's not spring-loaded. You just push it down to seal, and pull up to release. From the looks of it it has a metal shaft that goes down into the drain that is connected to a metal disk underneath which holds the rubber gasket in place. Above the gasket is a bigger disk on top that presses down the gasket, and on top is a little knob to push/pull. I have turned and turned the thing to no avail (yes I know lefty loosey etc.). The one piece shower/tub unit says Kohler, so I suppose the stopper is Kohler. I have already read the posts about the "set screw" on the "toe lift" type of stopper and the posts about unscrewing the kind I have when it's in the down/sealed position. I have tried everything and it doesn't work. I'm just hoping someone here knows what Kohler was thinking when they made this ("piece of crap" in my opinion) stopper. Can anybody help me?
[...]
<< Can anybody help me? >>
Have you contacted Kohler Customer Service? For me and many others posting in this NG they have been very helpful. Ask for diagrams or assembly instruction sheets and with this info you are sure to succeed. HTH
Joe
You're dicking around with your bathtub drain during our 40th president's funeral? Have some respect...