Can I Replace All My Fuses WIth Time Delay Fuses?

The odd time when I do a renovation I large power tool blows a fuse on start up. Given that Time delay fuses are the same price at regular fuses, would there be any problem in using time delay fuses exclusively in my fuse box?
No

RBM wrote:

What is the problem using time delay fuses?
bud--
There isn't one!!!

RBM wrote:

Take a look at:
http://homerepair.about.com/od/electricalrepair/ss/fuse_types_4.htm

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
I'm missing your point

RBM wrote:

I guess I can believe that.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
RBM wrote:

Sorry, I read your answer opposite of what you said.
bud--
Bud-- wrote:

I think we both did.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Bud-- wrote:

Who said there was a problem?
If your talking about the screw in glass type your better off buying mini breakers, they screw in like fuses, when they trip a small button pops out, just push to reset.
being its a breaker it has auto time delay built in.
I used them exclusively before upgrading to breakers years ago.
not as cheap as fuses but way more convenient....
you really need to plan on replacing your service, if you attempt to sell your home it will be a BIG issue......

Nothing unsafe about fuses IF the correct sizes are used, and the service is sufficient for the needs of the house...
Of course, a modern breaker panel with larger service is always going to be a better selling point. But a proper fuse panel shouldn't be a dealbreaker, unless you have strange local regs, or a really picky/paranoid buyer...
-Tim

obviously you havent sold a home recently, buyers now demand perfection or large price cuts.
things like demanding GFCIs in a 50 year old home.......
Hey lets get a estimate to bring this all up to current code and just deduct from purchase price:(
note all circuit breakers for homes are designed as time delay......
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

No...more likely it sounds like you're either guessing or have had ONE experience lately.

no I sold a home nearly 2 years ago......
lots of friends report the same issues, primarily driven by the home inspection industry.
just go ask a realtor who is selling homes today.....
realtor say they sell homes twice initially then after inspection

Really depends on the market. 5 years ago a buyer couldn't demand anything, as there were 8 other buyers waiting with offers, sometimes even higher ones than the asking price. Today things have cooled down considerably and there's more homes than buyers in many markets...
I was fortunate to have sold 4 years ago during the "seller's market". Unfortunately I also had to buy during that period, and the seller woudn't budge on any of the issues we brought up -- and they were a lot more significant than a perfectly-safe fuse panel...
-Tim