Can I remove my oil tank gauge by myself?

I have a very old (30-50 years old?) oil tank in my basement and the gauge has stopped working. I tried to loosen it up with a big wrench to see if it just got stuck inside but it wouldn't budge. My father-in- law said I'd need to affix a long pipe to the wrench to loosen it. Is there any way I can damage the tank by using this extra force. What I'm worried about is the plug being rusted to the tank and the force actually breaking the threads.

Reply to
Joe

Use some penetrating oil, but the tank is thick and should hold easily, last week my boiler guy cranked on our 60 yr old boiler, it worked. Worst is you get a thread tap..So get a long pipe for leverage.

Reply to
ransley

The gauge has a lever and float attached to it. I believe the tank must be empty in order for the gauge lever to be pointing down. If not you will break the lever off when removing the gauge.

Reply to
tnom

no, you want to pull up on the gauge so the float is folded over. they don't go straight when empty they always have some angle on them.

If the tank is 30 to 50 years old one better be careful when using force the tank is probably getting weak. The best advice is as stated spraying something on it that will penetrate the rust and then remove it. if you ruin the threads be prepared to install a new tank.

Reply to
shebaaa

that scares me. I don't think anything I spray on it is going to penetrate the seal because there is some kind of painted on sealant on it that looks like gray paint. I really don't want to have to spring for a new tank right now, is there any other way to gauge how much oil is in the tank? There is no other available hole to put a separate gauge. I tried just knocking on it but I really can't tell the difference, it always sounds a little hollow.

Reply to
Joe

These tanks usually rust out from the bottom because that's where water collects, not from the top where the fitting is. Your father in law is correct. You need a pipe wrench to unscrew a fitting like that. It's perfectly normal. I'd never even bother with a regular wrench. I'd try to have the tank about 3/4 full to give it more mass so it won't move. I think the risk of causing a problem unscrewing the fitting is low. Just make sure you don't cause the tank to move and damage the piping. If it were my tank though and it were 30 to

50 years old, I'd probably be replacing it as a precaution because of eventual tank failure due to rusting out.

You could also call a HVAC company and have them do it.

Reply to
trader4

make your 3 year old do it. LOL

Reply to
TD

Joe, You are making way too much out of this. Get a 3 foot pipe wrench. Rent it, borrow it, etc. Put some ass into it and start turning it. Just watch it or have a helper. Push hard but dont "rock" it. If that doesnt work, get another person on the wrench. Again, slowly but forcefully. If that doesnt work, put a piece of pipe over the wrench to make it long and give you even more leverage. AGain, carefully. This is where you can start bending pipe wrenches and distorting things. Id tell you to take a hand held propane or mapp torch to it but that adds another whole liability issue to the situation. (Yes, Ive done it and am not afraid of it. Oil is not very flammable sitting there in its liquid state). When its out, dip the tank with a broom handle to get an idea of the oil level, screw in a new float gauge and check its accuracy to the broom handle. You finished yet? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

knock the stuff off with a wire wheel and then spray this stuff on it

it works. then use the wrench with a pipe on it for leverage to turn the gauge.

Reply to
sockozy