Can I apply stone tile directly to plywood?

Hi, I have 4x4 natural stone tiles that I'm using in a completely dry area. Is it necessary for me to use a backerboard product or can I just apply the tiles directly over the plywood. I'm new to tiling and this is my first project...if I can apply directly over plywood, what sort of adhesive/mortar should I use?
Thanks!

I was about to do the front of my FP with Eldorado (faux) stone and dropped into the local rock masons/concrete supply place to get some mortar. The guy in there said that they're using a lot of construction advesive in the tubes now rather than mortar so thats what I went with. Worked well. You can get it at any bulding supply place such as HD or Lowes. There are probably half a dozen versions deppending what you want to "glue". I had already stapled stucco lath to the plywood face to give the mortar something to grip on. I don't know if I'd go right on the ply w/o the lath. Read the instructions on the tube or contact the manufacturer (they nearly all have a website on their products now) for advice. I did brace the rows of "stone" as I laid them so gravity didnt try to pull them off til the adhesive dried.
i use the tile glue on plywood on walls,not mortar
On Sat, 6 May 2006 15:52:48 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Fantastic!
I was lucky enough to make it home in 68