Can bouncy exercise damage the floor?

Is it possible to damage the house from using the living room as a work out area? I was concerned about all the shocks to the floor from jumping rope, etc. I have a newer home built in the last 5 years.

thanks

Reply to
JediSpork

Do you think the kind of floor covering-- and whether it's on joists vs. a slab, etc., might have anything to do with that...and do you think it might be helpful to let us know that? Do ya'. huh?

Reply to
Charlie Darwin

sorry,

its on joists

Reply to
JediSpork

You could talk to the local building inspector about the matter. He's the one who is on scene, and can measure the beams, and so on.

Or, you could google for reports of floor damage due to bouncy exercise. I guess, to really be sure, you'd have to post a video of your exercise routine, so we can all watch, and be better informed. Wear something tight, nylon, and yellow, please.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

eh, not something you would want to see

Reply to
JediSpork

Over time, the floor will develop sqeaks you will hear with every step as you walk. It's almost a certainty.

Reply to
salty

On 5/12/2009 6:08 PM snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com spake thus:

Heh; reminds me of a party I went to, years ago in Flagstaff when I lived there. Small house; they played loud music, so people were dancing.

The whole floor felt like it was bouncing like a trampoline.

I asked the host about this, and he told me, "oh, yeah, the floor joists are laid flat on their sides!". 2x12s, I think they were.

He worked in construction and didn't seem overly concerned about the situation (it was a rental house). So maybe not to worry too much.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

wrote

Grin, I see it's on joists not slab. The next bit would be weight of the person. If a fairly standard '200 lbs or under' not a concern.

If it was on slab, weight is not a concern.

If however a 350 lb person could jump 12 inches then let gravity take them back down, possible concern to the flooring over the joists. I dont have the physics background to know what a 350 lb weight dropped from 12 inches would be in actual impact force but it's more than just 'gently' setting 350 lbs on the same surface.

Is that what you are looking for in information?

Reply to
cshenk

How much do you weigh?

Reply to
mm

But if there's water pipes (or worse!) running under the floor, after a few years 30-min exercise per day (jumping jacks, etc), you just might get a break. Especially in an older house.

David

Reply to
David Combs

Depends on what you mean by "older." I think most houses built before

1950 were pretty damned sturdy: the lumber was so much better back then, and builders didn't cheap out the way they do now. I would have no hesitation to jump rope in my living room of my 1930 house.
Reply to
KLS