Business names

Page 1 of 3
I am doing some writing and need some help. Possibly some of our American readers can provide me with some information. I need the names of a few retail businesses that have unusual names that appear to have nothing to do with the business that they are doing.
I will give you an example from here in Canada: Canadian Tire Corporation and London Drugs. While Canadian Tire does sell tires and started out only selling tires, they now concentrate on retail sporting goods, hardware, tools, house wares, work clothing, gardening supplies and garden plants, auto parts and auto repairs. London Drugs sells the usual drug store things but also sells software, computers, home electronics such as TVs. I am sure there are others but they don't come to mind.
What I am looking for are US based retailers that have similar business models that bare little or no relationship to their business name. I am sure that when someone gives me the name(s) I will think "I know that company, why didn't I think of that". Can you help?
On Sat, 23 May 2009 09:54:08 -0400, EXT wrote:

Walmart

Right, I've yet to see a wall for sale there. Same with K Mart. Not a K to be found.
wrote in message

Well..."K-mart" was for "Kresge" and "Wal-mart" was for "Walton", which were/are both the names of the founding families. Not exactly a long - seek. You might try google-ing thing before posting these moronic questions...
They sell neither walls, nor Waltons.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Harbor Freight.
What does Harbor Freight Tools sell?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

All those tools are supposed to be used on boats ONLY :-)
Harry L wrote:

Don't know if it has anything to do with reality, but the name is supposed to imply one of those warehouse companies that deals in damaged, lost and strayed freight from a shipping port. Sorta like Big Lots used to deal in industrial surplus and returns from failed stores (which they actually did), versus the purpose-manufactured crap that is 95% of their stock in recent years. It is the mostly the same 'outlet store' scam, just for hard goods instead of clothes, and with less-than-name brands.
-- aem sends...

On Sat, 23 May 2009 09:54:08 -0400, "EXT"

The door store.

Mustang Ranch.

CVS Pharmacy http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/user/home/home.jsp
Tractor Supply http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Home_10551_10001
Staples www.staples.com
On Sat, 23 May 2009 11:52:51 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Tractor supply DOES sell things for your tractor - like oil, tires?, mufflers? Oil filters and other small bits. And you CAN buy staples at staples. (for the little swingline, or whatever)

I was following his Canadian Tire example.
On Sat, 23 May 2009 19:45:15 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

looking for tires for my daughters acr, only 2 available lines were manufactured in North America - one in Canada, the other in the southern USA. EVERYTHING else was chinese or Korean (1 line IIRC)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Do Canadian tyres perform better in cold weather?
TDD
On Sun, 24 May 2009 15:13:29 -0500, The Daring Dufas

employment to a lot of my neighbors here in what WAS "rubbertown" We had BFG, Goodyear, and UniRoyal plants here in Kitchener along with Greb, Bauer and Kauffman shoe - all in the rubber business in one way or another. All gone now - along with all the jobs (along with Yhyssen Krupp (formerly Budd Canada and lately Kitchener frame) over half the jobs at Lear Seating, and most of the tool and die, metal stamping, and other "manufacturing" jobs in the Kitchener-Waterloo area.
Just went from the lowest unemployment of any region in Canada to one of the top 4 - virtually overnight.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Just for the heck of it, I checked to see if the Goodyear plant is still open in Gadsden, AL which is in the North Eastern corner of the state. When I was in college, that was the place everyone wanted to work besides the steel mill. At the time, the starting wage was in excess of $3.00 an hour. Of course gasoline was 22 cents a gallon too. *snicker*
TDD
On Sun, 24 May 2009 20:25:37 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I think that was the plant supplying the ONE American built tire to Canadian Tire.