burying wire

i need to run some underground wire. is thhn or thwn rated for direct bury or will this have to be put in a conduit. i am running # 2 copper wire

Reply to
rogersdawn2

Neither is for direct burial. There is a direct burial conductor that you can get in #2 though. I'm thinking it's XHHW,or just possibly UF, but just ask for direct burial #2 copper at an electrical supply. I do think UF cable is made in #2 as well

Reply to
RBM

I found it: Use-RHH-RHW

Reply to
RBM

I do not believe either is rated for direct burial. UF is. thhn is rated for "dry locations" and thwn is rated for "wet locations". So, thwn will have to go in conduit. you'll need a min of 1'' pipe to run more than 1 #2 wire. Call local electric supply house to verify.

Reply to
jake

you want # 2 USE2........ its underground service entrance cable....

go to an electrical supply house...tell them what you want to do...they will sell you the correct wire.

wire is ultra expensive now......bet that number 2 is going to cost a bundle.

Reply to
cornytheclown

I've buried a lot of wire, and I wish I had used conduit. Conduit makes repair/additions much easier. You will eventually wish you had spent the extra money and used conduit.

Reply to
Nick Hull

wire

thanks for the help on this. the guy at home depot told me thhn was for direct bury. i have already buried a 2 inch conduit but want to run a cable that is rated for direct bury so i dont have to worry about the integrity of the conduit leaking later on. i will go to rexall electric in the morning and see what they have. this is going to be a 200 ft run to a sub panel i will have to use 3 wire with ground and with the cost of copper i dont want to have to do it a second time.thanks for the help scott

Reply to
rogersdawn2

Home Depot clerks are just clerks. The wire they sell is THHN/THWN dual rated conductor. It is OK for a wet location (in the buried conduit) but not direct bury. All buried conduit is a wet location and it will ALWAYS end up with water in it. You are fine wth the THHN/THWN.

Reply to
gfretwell

with a 200 foot run go to a much heavier conductor even if planned loads are low like lights.

one day you may want to use say a circular saw and a 200 foot run is so lossy it will effect saw performance.

with copper so pricey this will cost a fortune:(

Reply to
hallerb

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

DO NOT LISTEN TO HOLLER BUTT - he adds nothing but trouble.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Tekkie whats your trouble? I offer good solid advice like going to a heavier conductor for a longer run, line loss for 200 feet can cause troubles with a heavy load like a power saw I am a board moderator at another site have been for years. you are the kind of poster who just likes causing hassles for the heck of it. if you dont like my advice then debate it.

lets say the OP wants 20 amps at his shed 200 feet away. is 12 gauge wire heavy enough when using a heavy load like a power saw? or will the saw bog down on knots or overheat?

I tend to be conserative, if your going to all the work to dig 200 feet might as well do the job right do it once and then relax.

Cutting corners just leads to more work.

Reply to
hallerb

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

The wire size has been discussed many posts ago by you and others. You have added NOTHING by restating your opinions again. I believe you just like to see yourself post for some gratification....

Whoopee do!! What site? Probably alt.i.short.breakers.out.to.test.them

I do debate you - I post reason and facts and you post ignorance and opinions presented as facts. When I question; you divert the subjects or ignore me. Now I see you have enlisted aid in your rebuttal by having someone else make some circular reference which bit him in the butt. It's getting more interesting = why don't you just reply to my other posts? WITH FACTS, not conjecture.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Of course he added something. He gave his opinions to a different OP who probably didn't read the thread "many posts ago".

That seems true of you.

The last two times I've seen you insult hallerb you haven't posted any reasons or facts. That includes this thread.

Have you read your first answer to hallerb in this thread? You didn't question, you just insutlted.

Reply to
mm