Burying black iron pipe

Page 3 of 3

No, the new pipe will not touch concrete at any point. I specified it and my FIL will be watching. The area where it goes vertically into the ground, and where concrete surrounds it, they will make a round opening that I will fill with something else. That's also why I decided to buy pea gravel to fill the trench, instead of using crushed recycled concrete that they will use under the new cocnrete as "gravel".

Do you have gas inspectors in your area? If you do you had better hope he does not inspect your installation since he could ( in many jurisdictions ,be forced to by law)shut off the gas supply to your house until the offending installation is repaired.

Here you have to have a licensed gas fitters tagg at the last fitting and he takes the fall if it fails gas is deadly don.t care where you been you or what you fought, right once, wrong never again kaboom . Ive never had a failed fitting in 25 yrs of doing gas or a failed inspection.
HeyBub wrote:

I can remember as a kid seeing underground pipes being coated with tar before they were buried. The same treatment was used on oil tanks in the ground.
John

It has been shown here and is common knowledge that black pipe CAN rust out in just a few years. and if the grill only last 30 months, then something's wrong.

Won't meet code.

HeyBub wrote:

But I am sure you know one example of "see this works" proves absolutely nothing.

Code is 18". Did you ever hear of a frost heave?
Ignoramus11107 wrote:

Is black pipe even legal in your area? The last natural gas line I ran had to be that orange plastic stuff where it was underground. The original black pipe was illegal in SW Ohio over 20 years ago because of the soil.
prove it.