Building code, basement drain to daylight OK?

Will build a front porch soon. We have a finished basement and I would like to add a drain to daylight to protect our finished basement from pump failure. The property drops off rapidly in front so a drain to daylight would be straight forward. I will talk to the local building inspector but would like to hear from you, is such a drain generally approved?

Thank you for any help.

Reply to
andy everett

If there is a municipal storm/sanitary sewer system, they may insist that it be tied in. He's the only one who could tell you.

In any event, you'll want a P-Trap below the drain and, if it goes to daylight, a screen to keep critters out.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I assume you mean the perimeter drainage pipe not a sanitary drain. If so than drain to daylight is the preferred way to do it. In my area you cannot tie perimeter drainage, gutters, or sump pump discharge lines, into the sanitary sewer system. You must put in a barrier to critters, if you use a trap put it below the frost line so it won't freeze.

Reply to
calhoun

Thank you, that is what I want to do, I want to run a drain pipe from the sump pump pit to daylight so that I no longer need to rely on the sump pumps to protect the basement from flooding. Will run this past the inspector first.

Reply to
andy everett