Buckling ceramic tiles

Looking at lakefront property that we know is in the flood plain. The small house was built in 1955 out of cinder blocks. The realtor says this happens every 4-5 years. Most of value is in the lot but my question is about the 12x12 ceramic tiles that are buckling. Would this likely be due to slab shrinking and swelling because of the water?

Thanks,

Brad

Reply to
BradMM

Or a sink hole?

Reply to
norminn

Under the slab? It's very rocky so I think it would be unlikely but we're going to get an inspection done regardless.

Thanks!

Reply to
BradMM

It's unlikely tiles will "buckle" however the underlayment is likely the problem. Likely those tiles are not on concrete but something more prone to shrinking and swelling.

Reply to
ng_reader

I was wondering about that because of something I was just watching on HGTV (I admit it). They were talking about the backerboard they were going to us.

I think the only way to solve this is to pull them up to see what's there. If we buy it, we'll do that anyway. Even in our house where we live now we have painted concrete floors and I think that would be ideal at a lake house.

Thanks, folks!

Brad

Reply to
BradMM

Underlayment might swell, causing tile to shift. Tile obviously will not buckle, it might crack. Photos might help, and if there is a major problem with the slab, there likely would be cracks apparent at the perimiter.

Reply to
norminn

But if they are buckled up, shouldn't be too hard to remove them all. 45 degree angle and a running start. Might be a bit harder getting that goo underneath off and level. I've used the "ice breaker" for just this purpose...

Reply to
ng_reader