brine tank

For some reason our Kinetico(?) watersoftener just quit working. It cycles, water flows, but nothing. Water is hard. It has GOT to be the brine tank.
How high, and at what point in the cycle, does the water rise in the tank. I don't think I see much of any change in the level.
I smacked the salt around to insure no salt bridge, so that can't be it. I wonder if that small black hose could be clogged?
Any ideas (and how high it the water supposed to rise.) The unit is brand new. It's a twin tank affair. It is not in bypass mode.
Thanks.

If it is brand new, it is probably covered by a warranty. If so, call the dealer.
I don't know about your brand/model, but most brine tanks have a float valve that lets in water to a pre-set level. Water is not exposed, but only some of the salt is actually in water. The salt is on a shelf above the brine.
Yes, the pickup tube may be clogged, but there may also be a bad seal or "O" ring in the control valve. Be sure the drain line is not plugged or kinked also.
Put the softener through a manual regeneration and watch the cycle to be sure you are going through the steps properly.
I don't know that mgf of your system. Check the line that goes from the salt tank to the control head (the pick-up line). There should be a filter in it somewhere. I am guessing it is just inside the control head with some screws that give you access to it. It is normally a screen that sides into a hole. If this is clogged, the unit will respond as you have listed below.
-Lee