Briggs & Stratton Engine question.

I need to replace the 6.5 hp engine on a fairly new Sears mower and have found relatively inexpensive sources for engines on the Internet but I need to know the engine model number. Does anyone happen to know where one would begin to look for the model number? That is, would it be on the engine itself or need I hunt down a manual or contact Sears?

go to
briggsandstratton.com
They have drawings of various engine models and arrows pointing to where the model, type, and code numbers are located. It's best to have all three numbers when trying to make sure you are looking at the exact right engine when ordering parts.
CWM
2ndKnight wrote:

This link should help
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID275

when I replaced my engine on my push mower, all I did was make sure the bolt patterns were the same. I even upgraded my engine from a 5 to a 6.5.
now the mounting bolts holes are not threaded, so be prepared to use some muscle when cutting the new threads with the original bolts.
try www.jackssmallengines.com good service and good prices, that's where I got my new 6.5 HP B&S.