Briggs and Stratton Electronic Ignition Retrofit

Hello: I hope to convert the ignition on a Briggs and Stratton engine from points to Magnetron (electronic). The instructions that I find at the Briggs and Stratton Web site say that I must remove the flywheel, but it's not clear to me why. The generator that uses the engine does not have a stop switch, and I don't see why I can't just cut the armature primary wire and if necessary solder on some extra wire without having to remove the flywheel. Am I correct? Or, will I need to remove the flywheel to get at some armature mounting screws or something else? The engine is Model - 100232 Type - 0427-01 Code - 73121307. To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address. Thank you.

I've never converted an engine to electronic. BS recommends it, so what does the Magnetron site suggest?
I think you want to remove points and condenser and screws, or other parts that are not necessary under the flywheel.
two cents...

The flywheel is removed to cut the primary and kill wires at the dust cover. If you remove the points (not necessary), then you have to install a plug in the plunger hole.
So yes, you could just solder an extension ...
ive left the points in while doing the conversion. theres a plug you get with a new magnatron that is used for plugging the hole the points rod is in, so theres no chance of an oil leak , but they usually dont leak. if your putting in a new flywheel key also ,it isnt much more work to take the points out and plug the points rod hole... lucas