Painting Grooved Walls

Hello Everyone,

Looks like it is time to paint the basement. The walls are a 3/8-inch plywood paneling with grooves over the entire surface. Is there a roller nap that will put an even coat of paint into the grooves without leaving a texture from the roller? I do not care to fill in the grooves, but also do not care if the paint has some filling effect to them. Would it be better to use a sprayer? My neighbor offered to let me use his Wagner airless sprayer.

Thanks.

---Hillel

Reply to
hillel

Why not just use a really good brush, one of the wide ones? For intuitive reasons I can't verbalize, I don't get a real good feeling about using a roller for the surface you described.

How deep are these grooves?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'm not sure about the grooves, but you should pass on using the Wagner airless. Those things are junk and you will tear your hair out. You'd be better off painting with a 1" brush.

S. Barker

Those wagner things are a useless toy and you will be more frustrated than you could ever imagine trying to use it.

I would either hit the grooves with a brush and use the roller for the rest or just use a good quality wide brush.

Reply to
George

You'll need a brush to cut in any way, so just hit up the grooves with the brush then roll the walls. As an alternative, if there are a lot of grooves and you're not grooving on all that brushing, use two rollers. One with a 3/8" nap cover to put the bulk of the paint on and fill in the grooves, and follow up with a 1/4" nap cover to smooth out the paint on the flat surface of the paneling.

R R
Reply to
RicodJour

There is no flat surface. The entire surface is cut with grooves ranging from 1/16 to 1/8 inch wide. They look to be just over 1/16 inch deep. A lot of the houses here all built by the same company in the mid-1950s all have the same panels in the basements. The two roller solution sounds good. Will a 3/8 inch nap be enough for those kind of grooves, or will a deeper nap be required?

Thanks.

---Hillel

Reply to
hillel

Have you ever used a paint brush that was more expensive than you thought was worthwhile, and some serious paint, like Devoe or Martin-Senour? I assume you're fixated on the roller idea because it should get the job done faster. But, with the right paint & brushes, you might be surprised at how fast you can do this job. And, there is no question that it will work well.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Your neighbor must really hate you.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Do the panels look like this picture?

Avoid the wagner "bumble bee (g)". They are worthless. A good paint brush is better than the wagner.

Some homes in North Florida have panel exterior like the pic. They were sprayed with a stain... mid '80s

Reply to
Oren

If there is no flat surface the roller texture won't matter. If you feel it might, you can still use the two roller technique.

RicodJour

No, the whole thing is narrow vertical grooves.

Reply to
Hillel

*

The example material is applied with vertical grooves (exterior siding).

How did the neighbor paint his (if the same type basement)?

Reply to
Oren

I saw those siding panels before. The vertical grooves are meant to simulate wood grain. The basement panels have deeper vertical grooves than those, but not the wide deep grooves that are in the siding panels every few inches.

Most of the neighbors have either ignored them or ripped them out. One friend managed to paint his with roller and brush, but it took him a long time.

Reply to
Hillel

That's because he used a cheap brush and cheap paint. I wasn't there to see it, but I know it's true. Where were you going to shop for your paint? Any plans yet?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I was older before I learned about loading paint in a brush, the cleaning and care aspect of a good brush.

Now! it is my first go too tool...for paint in the home.

:)

Reply to
Oren

I got lucky. When I was 30, there was a real hardware store in my neighborhood. I didn't listen to the owner the first time when I bought a cheap brush, but I was back the same day for an expensive one. I still have it 24 years later.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

A craftsman of now (40 years) taught me a few lessons; in recent years! Good brush and care. He spent several years as an Apprentice many years ago.(back East). He is articulate.

Reply to
Oren

I have the same paneling in my basement...simulated wood grain with black grooves every 6-9". The house is from the early 70s. When we moved in many years ago, we primed, then painted white. We like the "country" look.

Just use a regular roller. Rough sand and prime first...the paint will adhere better. You can smash the edge of the roller into the grooves. It will cover them.

--Jeff

Reply to
Jeff B

No, this is not the simulated wood grain paneling. Think of a wall full of random width pinstripes and without the big grooves every few inches. I am hoping that a roller will still get into the grooves. Not sure if 3/8" nap is enough, but I will experiment on a few cut pieces I have before doing the wall.

Thanks.

---Hillel

Reply to
Hillel

It will. Stop mucking about and put the paint on the wall already.

RicodJour