Brand new MTD snowblower - broken transmission out of the box

Hi,
The transmission on my new MTD snowblower from Target squealed loudly and s topped working about ten minutes out of the box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlCf2h8a0Rs

It looks like the belt is loose as it's engaged, but only moving at about 1 RPH (revolutions per hour). I was able to tighten the lever on the transm ission, which remedied the problem for ten minutes before the transmission went loose and stopped working again.
Anyone know how to fix this?
under warranty? return to store for replacement...
On 01/04/2014 10:37 AM, bob haller wrote:

Yep. return it at once.
If you try to fix it yourself and they see any wrench marks on the bolts they will probably accuse you of ruining it and void your warranty.
Unless you bought it specifically as defective or "as-is" they have to fix it, replace it or refund your money.
On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 08:05:08 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

expect it to work. If you know enough about how the machine is supposed to work that you don't need to ask what is wrong, you are capable of setting it up properly (perhaps).
Otherwise, pay the little extra to buy from a proper dealer who knows how to set it up, and gives it to you without the box - set up and adjusted to work.
Then if it doesn't work you call them and they fix it - free - under warranty. There is no warranty on your failed attempt to set it up and adjust it.
On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 09:03:13 -0800 (PST), Fred Smit

(where they know what snow is). Back then I'd buy their stuff. Since they pulled out I'll buy Japanese equipment before I'll buy theirs. (now own a Yamaha)

Sure, easy fix. Ten minutes out of the box I'd drain the fuel and take it back.

That is what I did with a weedeater that would not start. Bought it at Lowes, a Husqvarna. I pulled it about 50 times during a days time and it did not start. I did not seem to get a spark at the plug. Returned it and got another. That one started just find all summer.
Had it not been for a 30 mile drive each way I would have done that to a tiller I got at Sears. The drive belt came off twice in about 10 miuits. The second time I started to see why. Found the engine was missing 2 mounting bolts and the other 2 were loose. I found one bolt in the box that I had not yet thrown away. I had enough bolts in my stock of parts to replace the missing pieces. The dirive belt has not came off again. All I was suspose to do was put the handle on from the instructions..
On 01/04/2014 11:05 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What did you expect? You bought a bargain snowblower.
If you want one that actually works for your next big snow storm, go to your local Ariens, Honda, Toro or Yamaha dealer.
On 01/04/14 04:17 pm, Red Hymen wrote:

As I reported here a few months back, my local Toro dealer does not sell the small "Toro"-branded ride-on mowers because they are in fact made by MTD. I have no idea about "Toro"-branded snow blowers.
OTOH, our "Craftsman" snow blower is now ten years old and still going strong. Maybe it's made by MTD too.
Perce

You never know who is making things and putting a lable on it now. A few years ago I bought a John Deere mower at the JD store. It was a low end one and the transaxel wore out after a few years. The same company that makes the transaxels makes several versions. Some good and some junk.
As to Craftsman, hard telling who made it and put that lable on it.
replying to ethan.emallove , GB wrote:

I don't know what model yours is but I have a small 5 horse craftman which is MTD and the transmission went out after about 12 uses I took it apart and they have a brass gear working against a steel worm gear and the brass gear is completely gone. The only thing to do is replace the transmission and the warranty should take care of that. as for the belts being loose they have a lot of slack in them but tighten up when you pull the handle to engage the drive or the auger. Hope this helps