box wire fill and smoke detector wires

Greetings,
I have been told that the ***plug wires*** for a 120V wired smoke detector do not count towards the wire fill of the box. I just wanted to confirm that this is correct or incorrect.
Thanks, William
When did they start putting spark plugs in smoke detectors?
Matt,
120V smoke detectors normally have a male plug. The female plug has 3 leads which extend into the octagon box and are attached with wire nuts.
Hope this helps, William

Pigtails usually aren't counted towards box fill. Never know with some inspectors, 'tho.

Per the NEC, pigtails are *never* counted: "Conductors, no part of which leaves the box, _shall_not_ be counted." [emphasis added]
--
Regards,

That's correct.
"Where ... not over four fixture wires smaller than No. 14... enter a box from a fixture canopy and terminate within that box, it shall be permitted to omit these conductors from the calculations." [NEC, Art. 370-16 (a) 1 exception]
--
Regards,
5 STAR RESPONSE