border in hardwood floor question???

Hi,
I am installing unfinished 3/4" x 3 1/4" red oak flooring in our renovated living room and kitchen. There will be a 4x8 ft cooktop island in the kitchen. I want to have a rectangular border of 3 1/4" Brazilian cherry about 8x12 around the island...possibly a row of cherry, a row of the oak inside that, another row of the cherry, and then just oak back to the island itself. I will probably herringbone this border and whats inside of it...the main flooring will run parallel to the 8 ft side of the island. The idea is to pick up the cherry in the cabinets...
Should I lay the cherry border first, then add the field to it, or lay the red oak field, then cut out the space for the border? Is it possible to herringbone inward instead of outward, or would I need to start at the island and work outward to the cherry? The island will actually be installed afterwards.
Any tips, ideas, links, etc. would be most welcome. I am a carpenter, but it has been many years since I did a hardwood floor, and never with a border. I bought an air powered floor nailer on Ebay for the job, 750 sq ft in all...                                                  Thanks,
david

No idea laying it, but it sounds gorgeous. You will be very happy with the Brazilian cherry. We have an all Braz. cherry floor in our kitchen right now and it's tough as nails. Any scratches are in the poly, not the wood.
--
JennP.