blower in the water heater: when is it running?

I moved into a new house where previous owner recently installed a new water heater with a blower. I didn't have such kind of water heater before. It seems that the blower is running all the time even when nobody consumes water in the house so there is no inflow of water into the water heater and there is no need to heat it. Is it how this supposed to work or I have a problem?
Thanks in advance, Val
vahania wrote:

Blower exhausts to outside vent? Doesn't sound right.
Post the manufacturer's name and the model from the nameplate.
Jim
It should run only when fired.