Blocking rat holes

Page 1 of 3
Yesterday my (indoor only) cat left a small rat in my bedroom. I have been hearing strange noises in my kitchen at night. When I find the hole the rats are coming in through, what should I fill the hole with. I want something that rats can not, or will not, chew through and that is easy to use. Thank you in advance for all replies. -- Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY, REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

For small holes, I've had success with steel wool.
The Streets wrote:

I can't imagine living in a place with a rat infestation but since that is going on where you are how about putting the cat away for a few weeks with someone else, lay out poison and after a week start going over the exterior of the house (yes, big task) to block entry. Then focus on the interior holes.
"observer" wrote

Are you kidding me? Why would anyone want to block a rat hole?
You can get almost $2 a pound, at any Chinese restaurant!
Just bait the area, wait with a ballbat, and club them! Hopefully you'll get a couple hundred pounds by the end of the week.
It's easy pickens! Fast cash!

SteveB wrote in message ...

:) that was my first guess.
Cheri
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message wrote

Goodie. What do we win?
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:34:39 -0800, "SteveB"

A one week stay on Rat Free Island
http://www.benettontalk.com/ratfree.jpg
-- Oren
SteveB wrote in message ...

Free services from the pied piper.
Cheri
wrote

Jim

Who said anything about an "infestation"?
Mice and rats have a seasonal tendency to start trying to find a warm place to winter over. It has nothing to do with cleanliness, income level, or anything else.
There are rats all around you. I can hear them calling. observer... obserrrrrrver! We are coming for you!
On Nov 16, 9:02 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Right on. I get the buggers each fall. I lay out the Rattack bait, they eat it up, die a short but painful death and thats the end of them till next year.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Good for you. Around here people don't have rats but the student slum areas in the southern end of the province have them occasionally.
Maybe a little cage for your seasonal buddies to sleep in would nice.

Unless you are Sponge Bob Square Pants, living in a pineapple under the sea, you are, quite simply, deluded.
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:57:46 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

LOL. Search: Canada Province Rat-Free for 50 Years*
* ( In the Canadian province of Alberta, a 50-year battle has succeeded in keeping the province rat free. But it's not an easy task. To deter such a resourceful animal requires eternal vigilance. )
Imagine that:) -- Oren

Now I'm LOL -- Calgary's a pretty big city. You telling me there's not ONE slum neighborhood in Calgary that has a rat problem? Yeah, riiiiiiiiight.
--
Regards,
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 01:38:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I'm not telling anyone anything. This is published by National Geographic. Their words, not mine. Are there rats in Canada? You bet and a slum is not needed, imo.
We have Kangaroo rats in the Mojave Desert....far from the city.
-- Oren
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

You must live in a slum or out in the country. In this city rats are found in the slum areas only as in most clean cities. However what no poster has yet say is if they live on a farm .
observer wrote in message ...

I don't live in a slum, or out in the country, and we will get an occasional rat. Ivy is a big draw, and a lot of people in the city have a lot of ivy and other shrubbery to attract. We get an occasional possum or raccoon as well. A clean city has nothing to do with it. Now, if you get a rat infestation on your property or in your home, and do nothing about it, then that might be a problem of cleanliness.
Cheri

Hoo-boy!