Bleach on Latex Paint

I had used Target Surface CLeaner with (hypochlorite) Bleach five years ago to remove mold from latex paint and it neither peeled nor became moldy again. Now they sell a Target "all purpose cleaner with bleach" which is 2% hypochlorite, but they say to use it on non-porous hard surfaces. Is this essentially the same product? Why the change in warnings? Tilex, which is 3% hypochlorite says do not use on paint unless you plan to repaint. I do not mind discoloration. My uncle used TIDE on asbestos sand paint and it began peeling within hours. Now this paint is not asbestos, but I don't want to deal with peeling. But I don't want this thing to spread.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

Why are you spending extra money, laundry bleach has nearly the same active ingrediant for about 2$ a gallon

Reply to
ransley

The formulated product may contain something that may plasticize the polymer in paint making it more susceptible to oxidation by the bleach. Pigments could also change color. Don't know about asbestos sand paint but it may have a more open structure that allows absorbtion of the bleach for longer term contact which degrades the paint polymer.

Laundry bleach, I believe, contains about 5% hypochlorite and is a very powerful oxidizing agent attacking most organic materials.

Reply to
Frank