Blankets on modern water heaters

I found a new-in-box water heater blanket in my basement that the previous owner apparently left.

What is the thought on using this on a modern heater? Will there be any measurable benefit?

The result I'd like to see is the water holding its temperature a little bit longer. We don't use a lot of hot water around my house, morning showers and a weekly load of dishes usually. I like my showers almost painfully hot, and even with the new heater, that first shower of the morning isn't quite up to my standards even on full hot. I tried raising the temperature, and it helped, but it's borderline scalding hot now on a freshly heated tank of water. Any higher and it'll start getting dangerous.

Reply to
mkirsch1

It's just a blanket of fiberglass?

side note - i have fiberglass - hate to deal with it - hate to have the fibers floating around long after you think they are gone

more insulation cannot be a bad thing... does you unit feel warm? it's losing heat, so the wrap should help.

also... wrap some of the pipes leading into and out of the unit... a lot of heat is lost on the copper hot water line.. insulate that as much as you want...

Reply to
Kevin

You may have a broken dip tube. Bad heater element, or some other problem.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I guess you are thinking of selling it NIB or you would just install it.

I would use the rule of thumb that if the outside of the water heater feels pretty warm to the touch, you could save something by using the blanket.

Reply to
Matt