black "dust" in the air

Page 1 of 2

my wife says there's a film getting on stuff in the house when the furnace runs.. I thinks it's from all the candles she burns. I changed the filter on the electric forced air furnace & it was black.. but it's been a few weeks & there's still a film, but the new filter still looks like new.
ideas? I have never seen such a thing.
Thanks Rob
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:50:11 GMT, "longshot"

Candles are major air pollutants. The residue from burning candles create allergy reactions in many and are very likely carcinogenic.
The soot you found is just one of many problems.
http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/faqs/godishcandles.shtml
If its an electric forced hot air, it cant make CO. No combustion going on.
Only gas or oil can create carbon monoxide. (what what anyone mention coal or wood???LOL)
Tell your wife to stop playing with fire and get the damn candles out of the house before she burns the place down to the ground!
Co, He did say Electric forced air furnace. But is that what he meant? Hoosier electric rates are high so I hope not. Candles do produce soot. Is that your lighting?
m Ransley wrote:

I'd guess candles. Go into any church that burns candles and look at the ceiling above ..... black.

on
&
It COULD be from the candles. I had a customer that called about the same thing, and swore it had to be the furnace... Well..they had a heat pump, and there was no way it was from there...looked around and the wife had about 100 candles she burned..all with high wicks. Now..if its happening only when you run the furnace, then its a good idea to get a tech out, and allow them to check to see if you have a problem particularly if its an oil burning unit...gas can do the same thing, but not as bad normally. the only way you are going to be getting this like you describe would be with a severely cracked heat exchanger, and this needs to be checked for, and possibly repaired NOW.
If its from the candles...and that bad, you are still going to need now to get the furnace and AC coils serviced..its nasty stuff in large amounts like you are describing.
http://www.securityworld.com/library/home/candleemissions.html
Electric meaning it uses electricity to heat and doesnt burn a fuel, omits no Co

Nope...none. Only fuel burning appliances can...
I missed that part in your OP.
Get someone in to check the furnace and buy a carbon monoxide detector immediately to make sure toxic fumes are not getting into the house. This is potentially a dangerous situation.

that's what I was thinking..

furnace
filter
weeks
are you guys saying that an electric furnace doesn't omit CO?
Stormin,
an electric furnace does not EMIT Carbon Monoxide (CO), unless something containing carbon falls on the heat strips and gets burned. Or did you really mean OMIT as that could mean that it blocks CO, which really isn't true either, becvause if CO is already in the air, it will pass through the electric furnace just fine.
Stretch
Stormy, don`t tell me you really think an electric furnace emits Co, you need to get out of the repair business and sell bibles or something something right for you
Depends on what you mean is electric. If just the fan is electric and the heat comes from gas or oil then you could get CO. But if you also have an electric heat pump or electric coils then no CO. Do you pay a gas or propane bill or oil bill?

Uh, guys, the OP said it was an 'electric' furnace which is not a fuel burning furnace. Therefore, no combustion process and no toxic fumes from the furnace.
longshot wrote:

I read something about that in a heating and AC magazine. Yes, candles do put out a LOT of soot.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I have no idea what the fascination with polluting your house with candles They make a nasty soot. Take a good look at the walls and ceiling where they burn the most and you will see the black. It is ruining your furniture, drapes, paint etc. A hot air furnace just helps to spread it out better. What you see on the walls is in your lungs also.
Omit: To leave something out.
Electric furnaces may pump air, but they most certainly omit carbon monoxide.
My father is an editor. I do make typos now and again. But for the most part, I mean what I say, even if I don't say it mean. (Meanly?)
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus