Beware marble countertops. . .

Page 2 of 3

Hmm.
I had a piece of Corian crack due to heat.
Repaired for free, can't see the repair no matter how hard I look.
I would never cut directly on the surface. I have a Corian cutting board. The knife does make marks on the board.
--
Dan Espen

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 00:21:01 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Depends. Actually each has their pros and cons. I've seen the newest Formica and it's not bad looking especially when compared to that of 40 or 50 years ago. I have Corian right now and it's ok. I would not mind having the newest Formica except when it comes time to sell my home. For some reason, people look down at it around here. Maybe it's because they see it only in the new starter homes????
On 9/11/2012 8:35 AM, Doug wrote:

There are people whose identity depends on what they have and much imagined status it gives them and there are folks who are happy to have something that looks good and is quite serviceable but isn't the "hot item".
On 9/11/2012 9:07 AM, George wrote:

I've been looking at real estate lately and have seen some of the most unbelieveably ugly homes....one had different maroon/dk green wallpapers in EVERY STINKING ROOM, each with it's own border. It would take 100 years to strip it all. Have also seen a lot of expensive kitchens that looked dreadfully dated, in spite of having one of everything from the cabinet catalogue. Eek!

Agreed but some like that style. OTOH, I certainly wouldn't buy a house with more than one papered room. I could deal with stripping that much, though the last time the one (small) room was a disaster.

Sadly I agree. And it works the other way too. People assume if you don't have a big house or expensive car for example, you can't afford it.
On 9/11/2012 9:07 AM, George wrote:

Yah, 9 out of 10 nickel-millionaires like marble. Reminds me of poor Stanley Johnson...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

Granite is not even that expensive these days. It is a glut on the market. A builder can get it for just a little more than mica. Of course they charge a whole lot more on the retail side. The material is pretty cheap, it is just the labor of polishing it.
I just got a bunch for free from a kitchen remodel, just because it wasn't worth cutting and polishing again for another location. I am putting some of it on my pool bar. I bought the diamond pads to polish it "but they ain't arrove yet" I have a diamond cup wheel for my grinder that will shape it real fast. It took about 30 seconds each to shape the 2" radius corners.A diamond blade in a circular saw cuts it about as fast as 2" wood with a combo blade.
I would suggest talking to remodeling contractors and see what they have in their dumpsters if you want to play with some yourself..

+2

Our first granite was five years ago (~200ft^2 came with the house we're getting ready to sell). We wouldn't be without it again. We did look at a couple of houses (fewer than could be counted on one hand, certainly) that didn't have granite counters but it was a big black mark against them. They would have had to be replaced and that's more of a job than I want to deal with in a new house.
On 9/11/2012 12:21 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

Now that is what is utter nonsense--granite is, well, "granite" and has virtually nothing in common chemically (nor geologically as per formation processes) w/ marble...
Granite is an igneous formation whereas marble is a recrystallized limestone which is sedimentary.
On 9/11/2012 8:40 AM, dpb wrote:

Exactly, granite is mostly quartz, mica and feldspar heated and then cooled and much much different in characteristics than marble.

I didn't write any of the above. Get your attributions right.
On 9/10/2012 10:07 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

remodeled, we chose Wilsonart HD. I believe laminate to be the best material for the job.
On 9/10/2012 10:07 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Amen. I don't want to polish my kitchen, I want to use it.

I don't own granite but can you put a sealer on it instead?

At least some comes sealed.

sulphuric acid spills, though.

We have properly sealed granite counter tops in the kitchen that have survived now two years of 'cooking' abuse and more importantly chemical abuse. They look new.
However, in two different homes, we went through two sets of Formica countertops very quickly, not from heat, but their top surface dissolved from bleach residue sitting on the surface.First the pattern dissapeared leaving a white surface. Talk about noticeable!
Never again with manmade surfaces. Natural, especially granite is the ONLLY thing we'll consider from now on.
I know, the sealant is manmade, but at least it's transparent and replaceable.
On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 06:44:14 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy

I don't have granite but I believe I read a couple of years ago, not all granite is of the same quality. Perhaps that's why some here love it while other's don't ???