Best Weatherstripping?

I live in an old house. Much of the weatherstripping on the doors is felt or springy metal. At the local Lowes / HD all you can find is the self-adhesive foam strips which last about one year -- or they have the better looking stuff which slides into a track -- I suppose this is for the tracks in the frame of a sliding glass door. What would you consider to be the optimum weatherstripping for an exterior wooden door and where do you buy it? Thanks.

Reply to
Davej

My ?15? year old Peachtree door has tracks in the wooden part of the frame. Those foam strips are the best I've found & if I was going to try to weatherproof an entrance door I'd give some thought to replacing the door with an insulated door.

If that is out of the question, I'd take a good look at some doorframes and see if I could 'aftermarket' those foam strips in a track. They not only work well for a long time-- If they wear out, or the cat eats them, it takes minutes to replace them.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Plastic fin seal, AKA V-seal. It's a strip of plastic you fold down the middle and then stick to the door frame. Try to keep it absolutely straight or there will be ripples where it fits against the door. I think Frost King and M-D Building Products make it, but Ace Hardware may have its own brand.

M-D Building Products 3525 V-Flex:

There are 3 kinds of foam weatherstripping. Open cell is usually urethane, while closed cell is either vinyl or EPDM rubber. The latter is virtually impervious to ozone and UV rays, and is often labelled for really cold weather.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Spring loaded vinyl weatherstrip that screws to the face of the door-jam on the inside, so that it is displaced inwards when the door closes against it - assuming door swings out. Opposite if door swings in. Available at good hardware and building supply stores everywhere.

Magnetic if you have a steel door.

Reply to
clare

When we lived overseas our doors all had an extra lip on them. Hard to describe, but the core of the door fit into the jamb, then an extra layer on the back of the door overlapped the jamb opening on all sides. The seal was close to perfect without the weatherstripping, and with the addition of the weatherstrip it was airtight. I have not seen this approach in the US but who knows?

Reply to
TimR

Link to what you are talking about please.

Reply to
Ron

Not exactly what I was looking at, but close:

This is the stuff that is currently available at Home Despot:
Metro/Amre carries this:

For instructions see:
The 157-198 on this page as well:

Reply to
clare

clare

How are you putting the weather-stripping on? The hinge side of the door so= the door closes on it and crushes it towards the wall? Or on the frame on = the knob side of the door so the door crushes it towards the outside? Becau= se I've got weather-stripping on doors that's lasted a very long time. Mayb= e wipe the surface down with warm water (not soap) and let it dry before yo= u apply the weather-stripping? By the way, if you are installing it so the = door brushes against the weather-stripping sideways as you close the door i= t'll rip off pretty quickly.

Reply to
missingchild