Best way to paint edges in a room?

Page 2 of 2

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:05:06 -0800, Scott Simpson

Lots of patience. I used a small brush with a steady hand along all the edges.

I'd suggest a good angled brush and practice. Don't put too much paint on the brush, and take it in long strokes, easing into the final line you want to leave. It's not hard, but it does take some practice.
Steve
Scott Simpson wrote:

it and make a "fuzzy" edge. Be sure to press the tape hard, and don't brush across the edge (paint with the edge). Take tape off right away - if left till paint dries, it will either stick to the paint on the wall or drag off little chunks of paint.

Trick from a graphic art teacher a few years back -- spray clear shellac or lacquer over the tape before actually painting. If the tape leaks under the edges, it'll be the invisible shellac that bleeds under, not the paint.
Best though to practice and learn to cut in by hand, considering how much prep work it'll save you.
Get a GOOD brush, not a puny one, 2 -1/2" or 3" and a steady hand. You'll get the hang of it. don't try it with a cheap brush, you'll tear your hair out.
--
Steve Barker

"Scott Simpson" < snipped-for-privacy@computer.org> wrote in message

I agree with the other posters that practice and freehand is ultimately best.
However, this weekend I had a tough line to follow on some touch-up and didn't want to take out and clean my good brushes.
So, I stumbled on this trick that worked great... I used a small foam brush (maybe 1/2-1" wide) and an old hotel key card (same size/thickness as a credit card).
I used the key card as a mini-edger and held the foam brush up close to it. Then I moved the two of them in parallel with the key card flush to the perpendicular wall edge. This made for a nice straight line and no clean up (just threw out the foam brush and key card).