Best valve for main water shut off

Page 2 of 2
I can't comment on valves, but our main water shutoff has two valves back-to-back. Thus I always used the 2nd one, and if it fails/breaks, I have a backup.
Seems like a good idea...

<snip>
The two valve thing is not that uncommon. Usually it happens when the first valve fails and a second one is added. It may be easier to add one than to try to undo an old one. My mother's house had this set-up. The first one wouldn't shut off all the way, so the new one was added without having to shut off the water.
Harry K

That's exactly what I replaced my leaking main valve with and for the same reasons. It's also easy to tell if it's all the way on.
Use the same type as used at the meter (or the main line). They turn on and off with a 90 degree turn. Don't have a handle but a raised ridge for a main valve key, but if it's in an open space a crecent wrench works.