Best toilet choice

Page 1 of 2
I'm about todo a remodel in a bath with one of the old 5 gal flush toilets. This toilet's run is pretty long and takes several turns so it has always been a bit slow. I know that one of the pressurized tank models would work best but the noise would jack the person in the next bedroom right out of bed. Has anyone read anything on the most efficient, siphon flush toilet available?
Yea I have a pressure assist and im sure all the neighbors know when it flushes its so loud. Consumer Reports online has a comparison test. But You will get used to the pressure assists noise , it doesn`t bother me at all anymore, it only took me 4 short years to get used to.
The newer Gerber pressure assisted are pretty darn quiet.

C & E wrote:

The American Standard Champion was highest rated by an artical I read about a year ago. May I suggest the elongated version in the comfort (orthopedic) height? It runs $172-$247 at Home Depot, depending on color. The tank is extra.
Lowes sells them for even cheaper, starting at $141. The tank is $112 there.
Shop around. Google is your friend.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

We just installed the Eljer mentioned in Consumer Reports, elongated and comfort height. Best flush I've experienced in 40 years. An American Standard Champion is going in the other bath only because my wife likes its styling better.
Dave

Ditto. The Eljer with its fully glazed trap has worked out well for me for 3 years without a clog.

absolutely! we have these installed and they are UNPLUGGABLE!
C & E wrote:

The American Standard Cadet is one that usually rates well and is not expensive. Consumer Reports magazine does test on the from time to time, you may want to stop at the library and check out their last review. Note: I just checked and AS is making a power assist Cadet as well now.
Look for two things. You will want a fully glazed trap. Regular traps are like sand paper and well things don't slide well on sand paper. Next look at the trap size; look for 2 inches or larger. A large flapper valve is also a plus.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
In my experience in the "real world," regardless what CU says, are toilets from Toto. These are great toilets with excellent flushing capability. With experience with pressurized tanks toilets, the Toto outperforms them and is very quiet.
They're a bit hard to find, but well worth the effort.
Here's a link to Toto's residential website. BTW . . . Toto is a Japanese company. I bought mine at a local plumbing supply house. Toto is the Lexus or Acura of toilets! I couldn't resist that, but my experience tends to support that analogy.
http://www.totousa.com/residentialtoiletsearch.asp
Don Allen wrote:

I second that emotion. We got a Toto Drake model. It would flush a basketball. It also refills quickly and is quieter than the toilet it replaced.
Another source of info: http://www.terrylove.com /
BCDrums wrote:

I second that second, especially the link. Read that website thoroughly. It's a goldmine of info.
If you'd really like to dig into the subject, take a look at this Canadian government study. It rated toilets by the weight (in grams) of, uh, stuff that it could move in a single flush.
http://www.cwwa.ca/pdf_files/MaP%206th%20Edition%20Feb%2010%202006.pdf
The ratings start on page 17. More than you ever wanted to know!
BCDrums wrote:

This is the article I'd read last year. That's where I got the idea that the American Standard Champion was a high performance toilet. Additionally, it's widely available at the local borg.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Just a note to thank you for this link. It is great!! Much more comprehensive and realistic than Consumer Reports.
BCDrums wrote:

GaryRW wrote:

You're welcome!
BC

Oh, I think that's an invalid slap at Consumer Reports. How can you compare a single, narrowly-focused, in-depth study to a consumer information magazine that covers a wide range of products on a continual basis?
That's kind of like criticizing an encyclopedia for not defining the concept of irony as well as a grad student's thesis on the subject does. Consumer reports would have to weigh 40 pounds for each issue, if it wanted to match this level of detail.
It would also lose all of its subscribers.
Luc

As someone else said, Consumer Reports tested toilets. They actually made artificial turds - pretty thorough! At www.consumerreports.org, you can buy a short membership for something like $5 or $8 or something. Definitely do it, or find the article at your library.
I would install a new 5 gallon flusher, or keep the old toilet.
Old ttoilets flushed great and werent noisey:) Fushing a watersaver toilet repeatedly uses MORE water than a single 5 gallon flush.
I heard they are legal again in the US
Whatever you get, run an auger down the pipe while you have it off. Since you claim to have many bends in the pipe, you can proobably clear something out and improve the drainige without buying any particular toilet.