Best leaf protection gutter guards ?

Is there something new over the years thats better then all the other leaf guard systems out there ?
Im most interested in the ones where the water swerves around and into the gutter...while not letting the leaves in. Are those newer ? I dont remember seeing them years ago.
any recommendations are much appreciated..
MB
Add pictures here
✖
On May 7, 12:34 pm, snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net wrote:

No. They are all a scam. The water swerves around and brings leaves, needles, muck, blossoms, and grit along with it.
Clean your gutters and don't plant trees too close to your house.
Add pictures here
✖

I had the Leaf Guard system installed around the entire house. With a mix of both pine and hardwood trees that surrounded the house with limbs that covered over 50% of the house. The original open gutters had to be cleaned out every other month. With the Leaf Guard system, I only had to have them cleaned out once in 12 years of use and the company that installed them cleaned them out for me at NO COST. Most of the debris that had built up was the fine gravel from having put on a new roof.
Most of the hardwood leaves could not wrap around the curve and be pulled into the opening. The pine needle would occasionally work into the opening if it was alligned with the opening. If that was a scam, it is news to me. The only problem I ever experienced with them was during some of Houston's heaviest rain storms when the water was coming off the roof so fast and heavy that it simply went over the opening. That was little different from the standard system which would fill up faster than it could drain and do exactly the same thing.
Add pictures here
✖

For the price of Leaf Guard, you could pay someone to clean your gutters nearly forever and never have a problem with heavy rain overflow.
Since you can't see in your gutters anymore or even clean them yourself, maybe some of the overflow was due to a clog.
Add pictures here
✖

THe Leaf Guard system didn't cost much more than a standard gutter system and was in many ways superior. For one, the previous gutters used the large nails to secure them and split the facia boards and pulled out after a couple of years. The Leaf Guard system used a screwed on bracket that was far superior and didn't damage the facia. The overflow wan't due to a clog and that was easy to determine by the about of water comming from the downspouts. It simply was comming off the roof too fast to be pulled into the opening.
One last point, it looked much better on the house than the old standard gutters.
Add pictures here
✖
mike wrote:

AMEN!
Add pictures here
✖
I also had the LeafGuard gutters installed apprx 8 yrs ago, after having endless problems with pine needles, plus the usual junk. Tall pines, cherry and oak overhang the house. My old gutters would block in weeks, sometimes days, after cleaning. The LeafGuard gutters have not blocked yet. The installer said when they block it is usually due to a bees nest. I have not had that problem. Also offers free cleaning if they block.
The first caveat is that when the rain is really heavy, as in torrential, the flow of water is too strong to make it perfectly around the bend into the collector, and some water lands 3 feet or so from the base of the house. This is particularly true where there is a joint in two rooflines, causing a channel. Still, the benefits to me FAR outweight the detriments. In fact, I am so happy with this improvement that I actually think about my gutters gratefully from time to time.
The second caveat is that they were very expensive, esp since I have a long ranch.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net wrote:

I found those Home Depot plastic gutter guards work great. They have to be installed so as to let the water flow over them and the water falls into the holes as the leaves slide off on the ground. The leaves can't catch the leading edge of the guards. It should be under the eve a little. If not installed right you just have to clean off the top of the guards saving nothing. Most of the time leaves are falling into the gutter on dry windy days and blow right off the roof with the guards in place. By the time it rains there are no leaves to wash off the roof.
Add pictures here
✖
Van Chocstraw wrote:

I've got these but stuff still gets through but I only have to lift end near downspout to clean if it gets blocked while before I had to clean whole gutter.
On op's question, I have one flight of this gutter on top back of roof. It has not blocked but it is pretty high up and I can't climb up to look at it. It's higher then the trees.
Add pictures here
✖

Agreed -- my experience with them has been much the same. At ninety-eight cents per three-foot section, they're pretty hard to beat.
Add pictures here
✖
on 5/8/2009 7:26 AM (ET) Doug Miller wrote the following:

What model number of the guards at HD. I didn't find any at $.98 per 3 foot section. The cheapest I found there was model # 85270 at $1.49 per 3' section.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On May 7, 12:34 pm, snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net wrote:

I don't have any experience with these, but the Leaf Filter system is the newest solution of which I am aware.
http://www.leaffilter.com /
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net wrote in

Chainsaw.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net wrote:

Probably the best solution is a long handle on a pressure washer.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 7, 3:34 pm, snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net wrote:

Search this newsgroup and alt.building.construction for Leafguard - the question comes up pretty frequently. I agree with the two posters that liked their Leafguard gutters. I've installed their gutter system - more accurately had them installed - on clients houses for years.
They handle large leaves, pine needles and everything in between. As already posted, very high volumes of water will shoot over the top, but that happens with infrequently cleaned K-section gutters, too. Like my neighbor's "roof-edge planters".
Around here gutter cleaning runs between $60 and $100 a pop. Cleaning gutters twice a year might be okay for Phoenix or something, but in the Northeast with trees all over, twice a year barely cuts it.
I had the opportunity to check out the very first house I had them put on. The installation is coming up on 15 years old and the owner has never had the gutters cleaned in that time. There was nothing inside the gutters other than a little roof shingle grit and a think layer of caked dirt. He doesn't think about his gutters...what more could you want?
✖
For LeafGuard, I cant figure out which one is their official site.
This one claims to be - http://www.leafguard.com /
and so does this one - http://www.beldon.com/leafguard /
which one is it ?
That leaf filter one seemed pretty interesting as well.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 9, 12:02 pm, snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net wrote:

They both are. Englert, or something like that, is the one with the rights and trademark. Their distributors may be franchised but I don't really know.
✖

There are a variety of gutter covers available now that will work perfectly depending on the surroundings of the house, like the trees and other stuff.
You can check out Hallet Gutter Cover, as their cover style is the reverse curve type -- the one that just gets the water in and the debris out. Not all covers are perfect, but the main goal here is effortless and minimal cleaning.
If you want to have a closer look at it you can go to hallettguttercover.com. :)
                             _________________________ Message sent through http://www.BetterHomePortal.com
Add pictures here
✖