Best kitchen counter?

Page 2 of 3

No, it'll be the same as tile, perhaps a little better because you're using such big tiles. It defeats a some of the advantages of granite, though.

18" isn't really enough space to roll out dough. OTOH, $3 beats $70 (and up).
On 9/14/2010 5:27 AM, harry wrote:

We've had Formica and tile with epoxy grout previous to granite. Tile does wear. We had spots where the finish had dulled. Even the epoxy grout does wears and does stain. We now have granite. We have a "pattern" that doesn't show anything. Actually, you have to either wipe your hand across it or look at the reflecting light to see if there is anything on it that needs cleaning up. http://picasaweb.google.com/actodesco/FranklinHouse#5349147120867320754 I am a definite granite believer.

How long did the tile last? Were you satisfied with its appearance and performance? New tile might be the best choice for you. After all, it's been used for centuries.
Cindy Hamilton
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

depends upon the tile and usage. i've had tiles next to the stove only last a handful of years if you're in the habit of sliding pots around on them.
my current house has granite tiles. no stains or marks even with items that normally would: red wine, grease, acids, etc.
you should test a piece of your sample granite with various items to determine if it needs to be sealed. a lot don't require this.

You're right about much of this, Cindy. I did have the counter itself re-tiled few years ago, but I made this mistake of having a handyman do it, so result did not wear as well as orig. installation decades ago by a real tile-setter. This time I had to go to a special place to get the matching tiles, as they are from long, long ago. Dunno if there could be a difference in quality? This job has a lot of dings and cracks around the sink.
Satisfied? Appearance, yes, but grout got dirty easily , and my attempts at re-grouting were less than stellar. Still, as you now remind me, retiling the damaged areas might still be the best option. After all, I am not building for the ages...
However, have also seriously considered the latest in "formica", if I can halfway match the tiles, and I promise not to put down a hot pot while screaming. Some people have a sort of trivet built in, of metal or tile, to avoid this problem.
Thanks for your thoughful response.
HB

Once you consider that quartz countertops (like Silestone) will last 4 to 10 times as long as formica, you realize that it is not more expensive.
Silestone is stain proof, requires no sealing, is stronger and more crack resistant than granite, and calcium deposits around faucets can be scraped off with a razor blade once every few years to keep it looking brand new.
It's the closest to maintenance-free as you're going to get.
On 9/14/2010 11:33 AM, mike wrote:

At this point, a quality Formica install is gonna outlast ME, so what do I care? The genuine stuff, installed by a pro, and not abused, will easily make 30 years.
--
aem sends...

Sounds great. I asked another kind member about edging around a sunken sink. How would granite handle that?
HB
?
wrote:

A hole is cut in the counter top slightly smaller than the undermount sink. The sink is then supported on two struts that extend from the back of the cabinet to the front, or side-to-side. It is held firmly against the underside of the counter top, where silicone caulk makes the joint water proof. The polishing mentioned is what is done to the cut edge of the countertop where the opening for the sink was made.
Mark
Undermount sinks are way nicer than having a metal rim that looks silly and traps crud.
Other than bragging rights for it being trendy or natural nobody's ever shown me a single reason that granite is better than engineered stone (Silestone, etc.).
Copyright 2010 by Shaun Eli. All rights reserved.
Shaun Eli wrote:

a slab of granite has absolutely no plastic in it.
Is plastic some evil danger I don't know about?
Again, it's bragging rights, not an actual benefit of use.
Higgs Boson wrote:

Home Depot laminated countertops do the job. I install a new one with matching backsplash material. Looks great, cleans up nice.
--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!

That's probably what I'll use. Some kind of laminate. For the OP, do you ask yourself or your wife these kind of question?
"Hey honey, I'm going over to Home Depot. Think I'll stop by that jewelry store next door. You want a big diamond ring or will jade do?"
"Hey honey, I'm going over to Home Depot. Think I'll stop at a couple car dealerships to order a replacement car for your 4 mile commute. Should I stop at the Mercedes dealer or the Chevrolet dealer?"
You happen upon a gal wearing a jade ring. Ask her if she's happy with it. Now, let's say you happen upon a gal wearing a 3 karat diamond ring. Ask her if she's happy with it.
Do the same when you get the chance to ask a Mercedes driver and Chevy driver.
Nine out of ten times you'll get the same "Yes" answer. The sellers of the rings and cars will both say their customers are happy with the choice they made. Ask a guy who sells both Mercedes and Chevy what you should buy from him.
My Chevy is 13 years old. Runs good but rust is starting to show. Our formica countertops are 50 years old. Look brand new. My wife usually wipes up spills pretty quick and doesn't often put hot pans on the countertop. She has dish rags and paper towels and trivets.
Much comes down to what "status" you want and how much you'll spend for it. Granite looks good, and so do 3 karat diamonds and Mercedes.
Here's a link to some CR testing. I don't subscribe anymore but this is the kind of thing CR excels at.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/kitchen/kitchen-remodeling/countertops/countertops/overview/countertops-ov.htm
--Vic

I strongly disagree with these results. My folks had their laminate ruined by a little heat, and laminates are famous for letting go in wet areas. When you consider laminates low longevity, laminates end up costing more in the long run.
But at least they're more scratch resistant than corian.
I had Silestone installed in 2001. Still looks new, and I like the ability to put hot pots right on it. Easy to clean too.
The only thing you can't get with stone is a sink made out of the same material, all one piece. You can get that with Corian and other plastic-like materials but they're not heat- or scratch-proof.
Copyright 2010 by Shaun Eli.
Shaun Eli wrote:

yes, you can get a stone sink, although they're rather expensive.
There is no "best" material to use since it's somewhat subjective. Personally, I'd be OK with laminate as long as it's not on particleboard.

OK, it did not work for your folks, but mine has been in this house for 30 years with no damage. I'll probably replace in an a couple of years just to freshen up the kitchen, but not because of any damage or wear. I don't see that costing me more than any other surface.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html