Belt vs orbital sander

This is what I have. I do not know if it is orbital or not.

SKIL 7232-01 1.8 AMP 1/4 SHEET PALM SANDER

Andy

Reply to
Andy

No kiddin' ! Like holding the leads to the welder and turning it on to see how much amperage you could stand . And the acoustic tile ceiling of that same shop was studded with welding rods - sharpen the bare end and see if you can make it stick . Teacher never did figure out where all the rod went IIRC . He shoulda stayed in the shop when there were students present ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

When a sander is a ROS, it will tell you so in the name/description.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Again, there is a difference between orbital and *random* orbital.

Most (if not all) palm sanders are orbital in that they move back and forth and also in small yet consistent circles.

A random orbital sander has an offset cam on the motor shaft so that it vibrates in tiny circles, like an orbital finishing sander, but it also spins in circles. The basically means that no single part of the pad will ever touch the same spot of the work on any given pass.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

We were doing that as fully grown men in a fabrication shop. A couple or three beers for lunch didn't hurt any either.

Reply to
rbowman

They are not that rare. I have 2 and both use rectangular sheet of sand paper (half a full sheet)

Reply to
gfretwell

No.

No mas!

nb

Reply to
notbob

I remember someone showing how to mix HT* and pine 0 pin* to make a pyrotechnic.

:-)

Reply to
Andy

Let's be clear: square orbital sanders or square *random* orbital sanders?

Do you have a model number or even a manufacturer available?

I checked DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch and Festool. I may have missed it, but I'm not finding a single square random orbital sander.

I'm not doubting you, in fact I really interested in seeing what a square random orbital sander might do.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't know how "random" it is but it is certainly orbital and the pattern seems pretty erratic..

Reply to
gfretwell

Well, there ya go! ;-)

I'm gonna stick to my guns and continue to say that there are no square random orbital sanders, at least until proven otherwise.

It is my understanding that the difference is that square sheet sanders go back and forth and (based on the model) around in a circle.

Random orbital sanders have a round disk that goes in a circle but also moves in an random elliptical motion.

I don't know if the information here is 100% accurate, but it's the way I believe things work.

DerbyDad03