Belt vs orbital sander

Page 2 of 2
On 4/7/2016 7:19 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Javoe, mein herr.
- . Cockroach A. Young learn more about Jesus . www.lds.org . .
On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 6:19:36 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

You are real helpful. NOT !!
:-)
I will chalk up your response to a bad day.
Maybe a belt sander fell on you today while it was running.
On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 15:36:55 -0700 (PDT), Andy

You use a belt sander when you want to remove a lot of material. You use an orbital sander when you are looking for a very uniform finish. I have both.
On 4/7/2016 6:36 PM, Andy wrote:

Belts are generally faster, but they don't give as fine a finish. Most woodworkers use both for different purposes.
The belt with a course grit can remove a lot of wood and can give you a long straight edge,can be used to tweak the dimensions as you sneak up on the pencil mark.
Orbital is better for fine work. I have one I jeep loaded with 100 grit, the other with 220 grit.
Paper selection depends on the job you want to do.
On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 5:37:00 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:

On 04/07/2016 04:36 PM, Andy wrote:

Yes, and they are a lot more fun. Lock the trigger and set it on the ground. You'd be surprised how far it makes it before pulling the extension cord out of the socket. We used to have belt sander races on slow days.
rbowman wrote:

Ever shoot boards with a radial arm saw ? 7th grade shop class held the record , almost a hundred yards - thru the front window of the shop , across the lawn and the street in front , and landed in the field across the road . Coulda been ugly if a student or car was going past just then ...
--
Snag

Damn, that's quite a record! (Quite dangerous too).
I recall when I was in HS shop class, one of the kids taped the switch on a belt sander and launched it off a workbench. The teacher was not pleased and the kid got suspended for a day or two. Of course the rest of us thought it was really funny....
The stupid things we do as kids!!!
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

No kiddin' ! Like holding the leads to the welder and turning it on to see how much amperage you could stand . And the acoustic tile ceiling of that same shop was studded with welding rods - sharpen the bare end and see if you can make it stick . Teacher never did figure out where all the rod went IIRC . He shoulda stayed in the shop when there were students present ...
--
Snag

On 04/07/2016 09:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

We were doing that as fully grown men in a fabrication shop. A couple or three beers for lunch didn't hurt any either.
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 8:56:42 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:

I remember someone showing how to mix HT* and pine 0 pin* to make a pyrotechnic.
:-)