Beep beep beep!

Something started beeping yesterday. Spaced a minute or so apart. First I thought it was a radio malfunctioning. but after turning things on and off it wasn't. Nothing else plugged in and turned on in the room. Finally after about a half hour discovered it was the smoke alarm low battery warning. No spare 9V batteries, have to buy a few today.

Reply to
KenK

You should not wait until the alarm to change them.

Normally, alkalines will last a few years. (Lithium several years.) But, if you have a fire, a battery on its last useful year will only sound the alarm for a fraction of the time that a fresh one could.

This could kill you. Don't be cheap with safety equipment. Even if you think your life is worthless, maybe someone else wants you alive.

A few weeks before Halloween is a good time to change all your smoke & CO detector batteries. You can use the partly used batteries as power sources for Jack-o-Lanterns.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

Considering how expensive 9V batteries are and that it's a PIA to change them every year, consider replacing your existing smoke alarm with one of those Kidde 10 year devices.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Fifteen or 20 years mine did that at 3 am and I just could not go back to sleep..so I changed the battery, hopped back in bed only to hear beep again...so changed the battery in my 2nd detector , went back to bed and doggone it...the beep was still there.

Turned out it was my pager damn it!

Reply to
philo

one politician say how

i bought one of those smoke detectors with forever battery. the battery fai led after just a few months.

to the trash it went

Reply to
bob haller

rd one politician say how

ailed after just a few months.

First, smoke detectors should be recycled, not put in the trash.

Second, you probably could have had it replaced under warranty. Your situat ion is not common and odds are you would have received a longer lasting unit.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When Ray-O-Vac came out with a 5 (7?) yr lithium, I gave it a try in a smoke detector...it started beeping in less than 2 weeks! I have never had any faith in R-o-V crap, even before that...but I thought, what the hell! Never again.

Reply to
bob_villa

That is part of the problem today. Other things beep. My smoke detectors and CO detector were old and in same hallway upstairs and downstairs it took a while to find the one beeping. I replaced all with new with long life batteries and have had no problems like others here.

Reply to
Frank