Beaten by a switch

Page 1 of 2
I'm preparing to paint a room and was removing the switch/receptacle covers. One of the boxes has a Lutron Glyder dimmer switch. That switch has a cross piece...push on/off, slide to dim or brighten. Here's a photo: http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products/Pages/StandAloneControls/Dimmers-Switches/GlyderDimmer/Overview.aspx
The cross piece keeps the cover from being removed. The obvious solution is "remove the cross piece". My question is, "How?" I've tried pulling, twisting and prying, doesn't budge. I KNOW it comes off, has to, I put in the switch in the first place. Anybody know?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 11/03/2013 07:26 AM, dadiOH wrote:

My guess would be to pull harder, possibly using a piece of wood behind the cross piece to use as a lever.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

Yes but I know one thing if you remove it a few times it gets loose. I'd just cover it with masking tape and start painting instread losing time on it.

Glue it back on with Ambroid Cement. Sticks to almost anything, dries quickly, strong, but not so strong you can't break it when you need to. Never grows old if you keep the cap on the tube. I had a tube that I used on occasion and it was as good 20 years later as it was when I bought it.
IIRC I remove excess either with a knife or by rubbing it a lot with my fingers. I'm not sure if the solvent in the cement will damage the wall plate or not. Probably not, since it's used to assemble plastic modesl, but test on the back of the plate.
Only available in hobby and model stores, model airplanes, etc.
On 11/03/2013 10:26 AM, dadiOH wrote:

I don't know the answer to your question, but apparently the entire rest of the universe paints right over the covers and switches (except for Yours Truly, who is very annoyed by that practice.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

You aren't the only exception. I had my other house professionally painted. They painted around them but it still pissed me off. It was obvious that they didn't remove them.

Not my mother or me. My mother once hired a blind man to paint the interior, and she saved money by removing and later replacing all the wall plates herself. He couldn't see well enough to do that part, but he did a nice job on the paint. I was at school during the day so I don't know how blind he was, but that's what she said.

On 11/3/2013 11:03 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

I saw a metal sink painted over, in a cheap apartment, one time. Yikk. Disgusting. Also painted over switches, sockets, and probably cockroaches.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Sounds like a USN installation :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

We looked at a house that had a porcelain/cast sink and Formica kitchen counter painted over. The pool pump was sucking air, too. Pass.
Dadi,
Tight "push-ons" can often be levered off using a couple of soup spoons as levers.
Dave M.

No tab that I see. Where did you find instructions?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Thanks. I'll pull harder :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 11/3/13, 11:50 AM, dadiOH wrote:

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/030477J.pdf
lower right hand corner of first page
On 11/3/2013 10:26 AM, dadiOH wrote:

through the slot?
--
Jeff

Nope.
--

dadiOH

Easy. Just remove about one square foot of the wall and take it to an electrician or electrical supply house. They'll show you how.
I never took one apart by the look at picture you prime up edges twisted at 90 degree and it should come off.