batts and blown in loft good idea or not?

Hi I'm in the process of remodeling an older home. The insulation in the loft was removed, there was batting and blown, now it's time to re-insulate the loft. I live in Arkansas winter temps sometimes 30 degrees, do I need the batting and blown in my loft?

Reply to
geneva

The type is pretty much immaterial; you need insulation of R30 at a minimum

If there's access/storage and/or you're thinking of doing it yourself, the batting is probably much simpler to deal with as well as less muss. If it'll be put up there and nobody is there for the next 20 yr or so, getting it blown is possibly a little cheaper presuming decent access.

Reply to
dpb

Hi, Insulation is a MUST, no quiestion.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Here is Houston Texas sometimes 18 degrees,

It good to know that Arkansas is not getting to -5 degrees winter temps as it did in the pass

But it's going to be a long a cold winter this year

More insulation or Wood or batting and blown

Dam it cool today on this 9-22-13 Here is Houston

Reply to
Hot-Text

closed cell expanding spray foam seals air leaks better and has a higher R value per inch. however it costs more. but its a one time cost energy costs forever.

spray foam isd much better

Reply to
bob haller

Depends on the sprayed area. If spraying the roof deck, open cell is considered better due to the ability to allow water to pass "IF" there is a roof leak. Open foam will allow the leak area to be detected much easier. Once dry, open cell returns to it's normal state. If not on the roof deck, then closed cell could still be considered, but in general, closed cell is generally used for grade level or below because it serves as a complete sealant barrier.

Closed cell used on roof decks will reroute a leak, thus making it difficult to pinpoint the entering area. It also has a higher expansion ratio and is recommended to be sprayed in new construction since it can push out existing walls if not sprayed properly.

Overall, spray foam is the way to go, IMO.

Reply to
Meanie