Battery Tender problem

Page 2 of 2

How much do you have to spend for a battery tender to get one that won't damage the battery? Like a motorcycle or scooter or lawnmower battery.
I have a cheap charger that I have on a timer, so that the battery cannot get overcharged. It is on only 1/2 hour every 24 hours, for a weed-whacker type of garden tool.