Bathtub P-trap

How much trouble is it to replace the bathtub P-trap in the master bath. I have good indication that it is leaking. It looks like Ihave to have a jackhammer to the the tiles and concrete up. Roidy
Once you have access to the trap it should be easy enough. If it's an abs or pvc trap you could either cut the trap out and use a mj coupling or a regular abs/pvc glued coupling. Could it be coming from your overflow? Tighten that up first see if that helps
Don

can you access it from below?

To me, sounds like a job and a half. Recently, I had to chip away a 3x5" section of 4" thick concrete. Sure, a jackhammer would make short work of it but I used a hammer and a few sizes of cold chisels. You certainly don't want to bust up more than you have to. A face shield is recommended. Lots of tubs/showers don't have easy access points as they should.
It is a slab built house. I am going to need to remove a certain portion of the slab to get this done. The house is 40 years old and was apparently built without enough portland cement in the concrete mix. This is what I am told. The basic indication is: when I drain the tub, there is a small bit of water comming up through the slab at a point 6 feet away. This is not good, I know. I believe that the extent of this is confined to the bathroom. There are a number of reasons I think this, and I will discuss later if anyone is interested. Thanks, Roidy
Also, upon re-reading my post from earlier this morning, I should foreswear posting before I've had my 2nd cup of joe. Soarry. :) Roidy

Im suprised there is not an access panel on an adjoining wall oposite the plumbing, I would open the wall behind the tub, then its easy. An access is necessary, it could be the shower head, valves, pipe , overflow, drain or trap. It could also be simply cacked tile grout, tub caulking or the where the valves, overflow, shower head enter the bath room. You might have a simple issue, seal the tub area first then open the adjoining wall to prove what is actualy leaking. I have an apt, and usualy its a simple issue. When you finish, make an access panel you can remove easily.
No, there is no access like you are describing. It looks like the P-trap was broken when the house slab was poured. I know the water is coming up through the slab because I took my knife to it and gouged a small depression in the slab 2 inches deep. When I run the water in the tub with the drain open, the small gouge fills with water from the bottom. No, it really isn't cracked grout nor is it a simple thing to fix. I really like this house, so I'll stick with it. Thanks, Roidy
wrote:

Im suprised there is not an access panel on an adjoining wall oposite the plumbing, I would open the wall behind the tub, then its easy. An access is necessary, it could be the shower head, valves, pipe , overflow, drain or trap. It could also be simply cacked tile grout, tub caulking or the where the valves, overflow, shower head enter the bath room. You might have a simple issue, seal the tub area first then open the adjoining wall to prove what is actualy leaking. I have an apt, and usualy its a simple issue. When you finish, make an access panel you can remove easily.
ACH wrote:

This sounds like a circumstance for an invention. I have in mind a plastic sleeve that snakes down the drain, then hardens into an impermeable inner pipe...