Bathroom retiled. Toilet troubles

Page 2 of 2
Tommy,
I'm not sure I follow this. Did you remove the old floor and install one that is an inch lower? Won't you be constantly stubbing your toes on the doorsill?
Dave M.
That is kind of incredible because the flooring from the two rooms all matches up with the new floor. The only other area where this caused a problem was along the floor at the tile baseboards (White bathroom glazed) which I solved by filling in with sanded grout. It all came together looking pretty damn good except for the toilet problem. I have now built a riser out of 4x4 tiles and curved pieces of the white tile. I even cut the corners at an angle to make it look kind of customized (well it is, lol). I shoved down one of those PVC flange fixers and decided to call off the plumber for now. Once the mortar has dried and I can grout I will be trying out installing a toilet once again. The grinder just seemed to not do much of anything while I sat there working with it besides spark like hell. I borrowed it but it is something I guess I'll get the hand of using to cut the ends of a couple of nails on last months project (Playhouse/swing). Thanks for eveyone's help and I will let everyone know if it works and try to post a picture.

Tom, I'm no plumber so I won't give you any plumbing advise but I will tell you this. Are you using a grinding wheel ( you know knid of looks like a round stone about 1/2 " thick) Becuse if you are you will be there for the next milenium. What you need is a cut off wheel ( round disk about 1/16" or so thick) this will act more like a saw blade and take a hell of alot less time to cut through the pipe.
Bill
That is exactly what I used. I might try it once again. Do I need to worry about gas coming from the pipe?

Tommy & Megan Price wrote:

Stuff a towel soaked in water down the drain. Jim

Should have had that rag/towel in there from the git-go. Fumes I think, but every time I've seen that, and now I do it myself.
Grinding and cutting are two different things. Grinding is kind of like high speed sanding for metal(without getting all technical) so the grinding wheel will take of varing amounts of metal depending on coarsness of the wheel and how long and how much pressure you apply. A cut off wheel on a grnder works like a blade on a circular saw ( again without getting all technical)so by using a cutoff wheel you can cut the pipe close if not flush with the floor. Yes you will get sparks and yes you should stuff a rag in the pipe.
Bill