Bathroom Light Fixture

Hi,

I have a new house but my electrician bailed on me before installing the last few ligth fixtures. The only problem I have is a bathroom vanity light. There is a switch on the wall to the left of the vanity and another on the right side.

When I cut through the drywall to find the wire the only thing I can come up with is a wire, probably 14/3, that appears to run from the direction of the switch on the left up to the level where the vanity light would go and then down towards the switch on the right. My thinking is is that I should cut this wire and install the light resulting in a switch to light to switch type circuit. Am I right or am I missing something here?

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
smk01

I have no idea exacty what's there, but my guess is that the switch closest to the door is for the lights and the othr switch is for a vent fan or heater.

Reply to
scott21230

The switch next to the door has three switches and operates the overhead light, overhead nightlight and vent van. The switch next to the sink on the right is a single switch, presumably for the vanity light, with a GFCI (?) outlet. What is confusing me is that the only wire in the area where the vanity light will mount is that wire that comes through the stud from the lower left up to the level of the vanity light and then then back through a stud down towards the lower right. There are no other wires back there.

Reply to
smk01

I would presume there was a roughout for the light mounting and the wire you've talked of finding is there?

Are the switches 2- or 3-way switches? If this is a long (as in double-sink) vanity, and they're 3-way, could be the intent was to have a switch at each end for convenience instead of having to make the long reach/couple of steps from the other end.

Reply to
dpb