bath tub drain

My bath tub drain constantly clogs up and I constantly use the plunger on it. Note:(the tub is used for showers 100% of the time) After I use the plunger in the bath tub, it drains perfectly for about 3 or 4 weeks. Do you think its a hair and soap build-up?..If it is, how can I clear that up...thanks!

Reply to
stoli

jappy

yes I am using a screen. I am unable to access the trap, and I am assuming you mean that nut at the elbow.

what else can I do?

Reply to
stoli

Reply to
jappy

I have a similiar problem in my house. What I plan on doing is adding an access door to my dingin room ceiling so I can remove the trap, then auger out the drain line properly from there with the trap removed. In my case augering out the drain from the overflow pipe has proven to be too problematic due to the number of 90 degree turns in quick succession, and I am guessing that augering with a removed trap should work much better. Once you get it augered out real good you should be able to use chemicals on a regular basis with myabe only augering it out once every year or so.

Reply to
scott21230

I guess I missed the part where you removed the stopper. The in-place stoppers (non-rubber) are the main place for hair collection. If you don't remove it, you can't properly clean it. The problem is that their removal is not very intuitive. I have had two types of in-place stoppers:

  1. One is when you lift the stopper and turn to make it stay open. If you look under the stopper, you will see a Phillips screw. This seems to be the way to remove the stopper, but it's not how you do it. You simply turn the stopper in the raised position without unscrewing it. With this method, it unscrews at the base of the stem that hold the stopper. Once you take it out, you can then access the Phillips screw, but there is no reason to do so, since you have the stopper out.

  1. Another type is more recent. There is a little cap on top of the stopper. Unscrew the little cap from the top of the stopper. It will reveal a Phillips screw. Unscrew it and the stopper comes out.

Once the stopper is out of the way, plungers and any other method works great. With the stopper out, you can clean it with your toothbrush if you want to.

John Stewart

Reply to
John J. Stewart