bath fan venting question

I am putting in a bathroom in my basement and know I need to vent the fan. I plan on running the vent between the joists, but I'll need to jog around the i-beam. is it okay to use flexible dryer-vent type pipe to come down and then back up to get around the structural beam? Essentially it would look lik ~~~~U~~~~~~ where the U is the flexible vent pipe going underneath the beam? Other suggestions?
Thanks,
Yes you can use that flexible stuff. It will reduce the air flow somewhat, but not too bad.
Frankly I would use it on a vent fan long before I would use it on a dryer. It is double trouble when used on a dryer. First it reduces the air flow and therefore the efficiency of the dryer and it also catches lint that further reduces air flow and is a fire hazard. In the bath the lint is not much of a problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
on 11/12/2007 8:34 PM snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said the following:

That U might pose a problem if you vent it out the attic roof. Think P-trap. Even shower mist could condensate on the inner walls of the pipe and fill the U.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I'm not planning to put a shower in the basement bath, just a toilet and sink. THerefore I'm not really worried about the condensation or reduced air flow since I'm only putting the fan in to meet code. I know that what I'm proposing is less than ideal, and if a significant amount of moisture really needed to be exhausted then I'd probably have planned it differently, but as it is, I just want to pass code.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Which brings to mind the question: Why are lavatories required to have a vent?

To remove smells instead of having them go into the whole house and if there is a bath/shower, to remove excess moisture. I think in most places, the vent can either be a fan or a window, though I would always want the fan.
Why not go the other way?

The other way is the garage.
AHHHHH......

I might add that we have all avoided the code issue. Local codes are not all the same so you may want to check with the local code enforcers for a final word on that issue.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Slightly off-topic, but related. Do I need a vent for a utility sink in the basement? Is it recommended/required to install the utility sink inside the bathroom that has a fan-powered vent?
I think you need a sewer vent pipe, which is an entirely different beast.

Yes.

That is up to you. I don't think I would bother.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit