bath fan

I have a bath fan that used to vent properly, but over the past coupe months does not seem to do the job well enough. Its a FASCO, 100 CFM model. I have checked the ductwork and the outside vent and they are clear (even removed the outside grill to see if that would help airflow).
I also made sure we have plenty of inflow air (left door partially open).
I'm thinking the fan motor is just not running to speed. Any other thoughts?
Thanks Bob
Fan motors often need to be lubricated after some years. If you think it is not running up to speed (I have seen this too), take the blower and motor out and try to lubricate the bearings with light oil. Depending on the way the motor is set up, you may need to take the motor apart (not hard) to get at the oil felts. More and more, these motors are made so that it is hard to lubricate them ("lifetime lubrication", hah). If the motor has been running without lube for a while, the shaft may be scored, in which case you would most likely need to replace the fan. It is not worth replacing the motor--you'd end up paying as much as for a whole new unit (from china, of course).

months
have
I'll check to see if I can lubricate it. Its already out and sitting on my bench.
thanks Bob

removed
open).
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------020405030207000404020000 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
pony67 wrote:

The felt oil wicks on those little motors are usually covered by a thin sheet metal cap or disk. You can easily drill a 1/16" hole in them te enable you to recharge the felt with light oil like "3 in 1". That's what I do to them, and I never bother to try and seal up that litle hole I made.
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Check for a buildup of lint, dust, dirt, etc on the fan itself. The motors in these things are not very powerful, and even an extra ounce or two of weight on the fan blades will reduce the speed greatly.
Doug, I did clean the fan blades as best I could, and re-tried. Did not see any noticeable difference, unfortunately. Thanks, Bob
wrote:

months
have
removed
in
weight
Miss America?

months
have
Aside from cleaning and lubricating the fan itself , make sure the impeller is not slipping on it's shaft or rubbing somewhere on the housing. Also, double-check and make sure the airflow is unrestricted. You've already checked the ductwork and outside grill, so now check to be sure the small damper located in the outlet of the unit is opening properly. This small damper is closed when the fan is off, but opens up when the fan is on. These small plastic "flaps" will stick closed for any number of reasons - usually a small piece of insulation or dirt holding it closed. I've seen cases it which these fart fans never work from day one because someone was too lazy to mask it off and shot ceiling texture into the thing, effectively "gluing" this flap closed.
Just a thought.
After I had checked the duct, the next was that flapper, and I even removed it to see what the effect would be. None (except to let more cold air in when not running.)...
thanks Bob

removed
open).
impeller
effectively
Any recommendations for a good fan? I would like to replace my combination units (fan, light, heat). I have two in separate baths.
In addition, they are both vented into the attic and I would like to vent to outside. Is it possible to get a flexible hose and vent to the turbines I have mounted on the roof?
I have a bath fan that used to vent properly, but over the past coupe months does not seem to do the job well enough. Its a FASCO, 100 CFM model. I have checked the ductwork and the outside vent and they are clear (even removed the outside grill to see if that would help airflow).
I also made sure we have plenty of inflow air (left door partially open).
I'm thinking the fan motor is just not running to speed. Any other thoughts?
Thanks Bob

In a word: Panasonic!

Vented to the attic is WRONG!! The makeshift arrangement you suggest is better than what you have...

Yes, that sounds about right. TB
pony67 wrote:

<snipped>
Have any other things happened which might trick you into believing it's the fan's performance which has changed?
Like a new resident using the bathroom or someone's change of diet?
Just wondering...<G>
Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff, good point! This was my main bath, and the fan worked fine for shower moisture venting for both wife and I. Its now used by one son, and even after a couple minutes, its a steam room in there. Water temp is lower than when we used it, so I assumed the fan was the cause.
Bob