bath fan

I have a bath fan that used to vent properly, but over the past coupe months does not seem to do the job well enough. Its a FASCO, 100 CFM model. I have checked the ductwork and the outside vent and they are clear (even removed the outside grill to see if that would help airflow).

I also made sure we have plenty of inflow air (left door partially open).

I'm thinking the fan motor is just not running to speed. Any other thoughts?

Thanks Bob

Reply to
pony67

Fan motors often need to be lubricated after some years. If you think it is not running up to speed (I have seen this too), take the blower and motor out and try to lubricate the bearings with light oil. Depending on the way the motor is set up, you may need to take the motor apart (not hard) to get at the oil felts. More and more, these motors are made so that it is hard to lubricate them ("lifetime lubrication", hah). If the motor has been running without lube for a while, the shaft may be scored, in which case you would most likely need to replace the fan. It is not worth replacing the motor--you'd end up paying as much as for a whole new unit (from china, of course).

Reply to
donald girod

Check for a buildup of lint, dust, dirt, etc on the fan itself. The motors in these things are not very powerful, and even an extra ounce or two of weight on the fan blades will reduce the speed greatly.

Doug Miller

Aside from cleaning and lubricating the fan itself , make sure the impeller is not slipping on it's shaft or rubbing somewhere on the housing. Also, double-check and make sure the airflow is unrestricted. You've already checked the ductwork and outside grill, so now check to be sure the small damper located in the outlet of the unit is opening properly. This small damper is closed when the fan is off, but opens up when the fan is on. These small plastic "flaps" will stick closed for any number of reasons - usually a small piece of insulation or dirt holding it closed. I've seen cases it which these fart fans never work from day one because someone was too lazy to mask it off and shot ceiling texture into the thing, effectively "gluing" this flap closed.

Just a thought.

Reply to
Banister Stairwell

Any recommendations for a good fan? I would like to replace my combination units (fan, light, heat). I have two in separate baths.

I also made sure we have plenty of inflow air (left door partially open).

I'm thinking the fan motor is just not running to speed. Any other thoughts?

Thanks Bob

Reply to
stevef

Yes, that sounds about right. TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

I'll check to see if I can lubricate it. Its already out and sitting on my bench.

Reply to
pony67

Reply to
pony67

After I had checked the duct, the next was that flapper, and I even removed it to see what the effect would be. None (except to let more cold air in when not running.)...

Reply to
pony67

In a word: Panasonic!

Vented to the attic is WRONG!! The makeshift arrangement you suggest is better than what you have...

Reply to
Ms. Manners

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Have any other things happened which might trick you into believing it's the fan's performance which has changed?

Like a new resident using the bathroom or someone's change of diet?

Just wondering...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Jeff, good point! This was my main bath, and the fan worked fine for shower moisture venting for both wife and I. Its now used by one son, and even after a couple minutes, its a steam room in there. Water temp is lower than when we used it, so I assumed the fan was the cause.

Bob

Reply to
pony67